AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some thoughts on my idea here , is my thinking correct. Thanks for any input.

I have a 20x30 foot screen enclosed lanai patio which leads to a 50x40 foot backyard pool area. I am thinking of using the EVID 6.2 series speakers.Installed in the lanai area. I may be able to get a pair of the EVID 6.2t version for a few hundred dollars.

I am thinking of a zone 2 using my Yamaha vx-863 for the amp. I will run the wires through the walls, ceiling, to the patio. The vx-863 is in my living room , currently powering my home theater.

So the crux of the matter is the "t" , transformer equipped version. There is a switch on the back of the EVID t version that controls the transformer.

Will using the "t" version be ok if I switch it the correct way? Should I use 70v or the 100v selection? Should it be switched to the "x" setting or 15,30 60 setting?

If I just run two wires , right and left zone 2, from the VX-863 to each speaker and set the speakers to 100v and "x" , will they work?

Thanks for the help.

Also , these look like really solid well made speakers, I am curious why there are so few posts concerning these units. EV seems like they put out some very serious gear.

The EV site has a PDF file with the info about the unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured it out. The speakers have a switch setting that lets one select 8 ohm, straight, no transformer use...so I think I can use them with my VX-863 as a zone 2.. I will post back in a few weeks after I set them up and give a review/thoughts on the speakers and how they worked for me..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK , I recieved the EVid 6.2t outdoor speakers today, and hooked em up to an 12 year old Kenwood avr with 100 watts per chn stereo. I don't have my 14 gauge speaker wire yet, just some old stuff , extra 16 gauge. They aren't mounted to the wall yet , just chest high on a counter on a patio. This was just a quick and dirty test set up today. BUT, they sound great already! Very detailed sound, good strength, very real sounding bass. I tried some rock, pop and trance and they just sounded great. Very satisfied so far with the test run..I will post some photos later after I mount the speakers to the walls. And post some more impressions..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have mounted the speakers about 6 feet up a stucco/cinder block wall on a screen enclosed patio. They are separated by about 10 feet. I hid the wires by caulking the wires to corners then painting the caulked wires. The EVID 6.2's are powered up by a Yamaha rx-v690. The sound is very clean at 30' from the speakers, very detailed, can hear the layers and back tracks in rock songs. Bass is good but really I am a little disappointed, I thought 4 6.5 drivers would have more punch. Maybe I'll add a subwoofer.. I do have a SVS cylinder sub with my home theater , maybe I'll take it out to the patio one day for kicks.. These photos are not of the final results..

·
Registered
537 Posts
The EVID's are great speakers that can play loudly and sound great. They will work fine with your receiver, although an outboard power amp will always improve things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a photo of the speaker wires caulked and painted. I am still doing some listening tests between a Kenwood AR-404 and a Yamaha RX-V690. Ultimately, I will run a line from my HT, from which I can get Sirius stations and also internet and PC music, to this patio setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Final photos , Went with Kenwood AR-404 for receiver, use a Archos 505 with a 3 foot or 20 foot cable to play mp3's , hid power cable under counter, mounted power outlet strip under counter. The Evid 6.2 are good at loud volume, clear, detailed sound. Not as lush as I wanted though. I wanted the sound to project through the patio to a back yard /pool area so I mounted the speakers a little low on the walls. I may add some more speakers to the mix in the future, maybe a sub.

] http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.6&disp=emb&view=att&th=12368efea1ba1d9d

] http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.10&disp=emb&view=att&th=12368efea1ba1d9d

http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0...368efea1ba1d9d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.