AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have pj's that are liquid coupled or cooled read on. Ethelene glycol is a wonder fluid when it comes to coupling or cooling CRT's. HOWEVER, when there is a leak of some kind and the fluid reaches a circuit board BEWARE. I own a 1209/2 and recently posted (Barco 1209/2 CRT neckboard short) about my problem. I feel strongly enough about what caused my problem that I am reposting the results. I have had my pj for about a year. I have always had a problem with this particular amp board and when I took it apart I found that glycol had leaked from the CRT through the plastic socket and down the board. Every slodering joint in the path of the glycol was corroded to some extent. Cousin.it came to the rescue, soaked the board in a cleaning fluid, scrubbed what corrosion he could see and gave the board back to me. The board worked fine...for a while and the shorting started again. I could move the board and the picture would become normal. This worked for a while and then the problem was permanent. Cousin.it took the board, removed the plastic socket, and behold, corroded open circuits hidden by the plastic socket. He fixed the board and it works fine now. The moral of the story......if you ever get ethylene glycol on any of your circuit boards remove it immediately! High temperature areas only accelerate the corrosion process. This small hidden problem caused me months of misery and confussion. Don't let this happen to you. This public service announcement was brought to you by Prozac, it has helped 6 out of 10 posters on this forum....maybe it can help you. Thanks again to cousin.it. Now my daily dosage is cut in half.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.