AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned an NEC LT100 for 2 years now and have had nothing but a great experience with it. However, after almost a year of being out of the HT scene, I'm starting to get the "Upgrade Itch" and want to see how projector technology has evolved. Can anyone update me on NEC's new line of projectors and fill me in on how they're better than the LT100. I would also be interested in hearing about other brands and their latest offerings. My apologies if this topic has been discussed recently, but I couldn't find anything here using the search tool. . .

Thanks

Pasqual

·
Registered
683 Posts
Pasqual - I have a Plus UP-1100, which is basically the same as your NEC LT100. I have been very happy with my projector, but consider upgrading as well.

I have looked at many projectors and feel now is NOT the best time to upgrade.

There are certainly some nice new projectors out there - Dwin Transvision, Seleco HT200 DM, Sharp Z9000, JVC G-15 DILA.... (to many to list them all). Problem is they range in price from $7k - $12k. In my opinion there will be an improvement over your LT100, but at a very high price.

I think we are on the verge of seeing some great new products in the next couple of years. Improved color wheels, longer life bulbs, improved contrast and of course more projectors featuring 16 x 9 panels.

In the meantime you might consider upgrading your LT100. Has it been "Thumperized"? Are you using a good outboard scaler or HTPC? Can your screen be improved? How about an anamorphic lens?,(if the company stays in business).

In my opinion you will get more bang for your buck by making these types of improvements now. Then spend the thousands on a new projector when the technology has advanced more.

Just my thoughts, Reed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I totally agree with Reed. And as another improvement you can make to your LT100, I would suggest having Cliff Plavin calibrate your gamma tables.

There is a substantial improvement to be gained. The picture will be smoother, the infamous "hot whites" will be eliminated, and greyscale tracking will be perfect.

Cliff's procedure is also compatible with the UP-1100 and LT150.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had a Compaq MP1600 for almost two years, not an LT 100, but I feel like I'm in the same boat.

I don't feel like any of the existing "upgrades" provide enough of an improvement to be worth the price. (I am waiting on a Panamorph, that's another story.)

I can live with my MP1600 for another couple years if no compelling replacement shows up. I'm not going to get another projector just for the fun of having something new (though I admit it would be kind of fun.) -- Herb

·
Registered
165 Posts
I too totally agree with Reed and Mark. As someone who has had the Thumper mods to my Plus UP1100 (same as your NEC LT100) and put a ISCO II anamorphic lens on it, through a Radeon equipped HTPC and onto a 8ft 16x9 Stewart Greyhawk, I have to say it is good enough to rival of most projectors under $6000. It really is that good! I won't be changing anytime soon.

Have the Thumper mod done, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where can I get more info on the Thumper mod? (what's done, cost, etc.)

Where can I get info on the Cliff Plavin mods? (same info as above)

Can someone with experience tell me if I need both mods, or just one or the other?

I will be recommending a new projector to my company soon and think that the LT100 is perfect for them, where can I buy one? ( I understand that this question may violate AVScience forum etiquette, so please send E-mail directly to me at [email protected] )

Thanks All, Again, I'm blown away from the wealth of knowledge that this forum offers!!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree with Reed and Mark in that having Thumper do his mods and add the Gamma correction performed by Cliff will give much improvement in an already nice picture. I have had my mods for a while and am very pleased.

I have not heard from Thumper in a while I hope he is doing ok.

I will forward your e-mail address to both Thumper and Cliff.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.