AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't they show Leno(NBC East coast feed) on Tuesdays and Thursdays on channel 287 when they are showing CBS West coast feed on

channel 286? What is the point in having a second channel that is off air almost all the time? Looks like a marketing ploy to cheat people by saying "oh we have 2 HD channels for Networks".

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I agree completely! What did the second HD network channel get us. No more Alias on either one!! One of the best HD programs isn't on either channel now! Now they show some dumb CBS made for tv movie on one channel, and Law and order on the other. They could at least show Alias later on from the west feed, but no, they show nothing then!

Marc.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I believe last night they were showing an HD movie on TMN at 12:15.

Of course one could also wonder who they're cheating -- the 7,000 customers who don't pay a cent for the HDTV service in which BEV has invested millions of dollars? Strange definition of cheating.

As for using the west feed, the west feed is CBS only. They obviously do not have the ability to switch feeds on the fly like they do in the east, and considering they'll soon have dedicated feeds for each network, east and west, it seems like a pointless investment.

ExpressVu is a few months away from launching by far the biggest HDTV service in the world, offering more than any cable or satellite company anywhere. You want to knock them, that's your perogative, but the way I see it, they're already showing Leno three nights a week more than any American DBS company.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where does it say anywhere that they have 2 HD channels for networks?

You have quoted them , where did you get it from?

You say what is the second channel then you list a CBS movie and L&O.

That's what you get.

Just because you don't like it ....

They can't show Alias later because they don't have an West coast HD feed , only CBS.

Alias is listed for this Sunday.

Boys , find any DSS provider ANYWHERE who provides more HD than BEV. Come on , tell me.

BEV didn't need to do sqat but they did and they haven't said a word about it.

Still you *****.

Perhaps when it's off they are showing TMN eh , maybe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
you beat me to the punch Newbie.

I've got to learn to type faster.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well as far as Alias in particular, yeah since they've always seemed to show it theres no reason they shouldnt keep showing.

But beyond that it's still kinda nice that they have the ability to show 2 Network channels at the same time now.. even if they still cant do it throughout all of Primetime every night. It stills comes down to bandwidth. They only dedicate 2 Transponders to HD. So while they were able to open up 2 feeds of HD Network by not showing HD PPV in Primetime anymore, theres still going to be conflicts when as Newbie said, the Movie channel has an HD movie.

At least thats how I believe it's shaking down even though I havent been paying real close attention to the scheduling in general lately.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I got BEV and its HDTV capable recr. (model 6000) because I thot I would be watching some HDTV.

Turns out there isn't much on that I want to watch when I want to watch it. I will add the 2nd dish necessary next spring and, hopefully, will get more use out of our HDTV set up.

...mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
This week on BEV

Movie Central - Ch. 284

Dancer in the Dark - Dec. 10, 13

Thirteen Days - Dec. 12

The Others - Dec. 13

Hannibal - Dec. 14

Vu! - 291

Lord of the Rings - Dec 9-15

Movie Network - 609 & HDTV1 - 285

Life as a House - Dec. 9

The Others - Dec. 9, 10, 13

The Sopranos - Dec. 9, 10, 11, 14

Dancer in the Dark - Dec. 11, 15

Bridget Jones' Diary - Dec. 11

HDTV2 - 286 & NETSD - 299

Movie: The Locket - Dec. 9

The Young and the Restless - Dec. 9-15

The Tonight Show - Dec. 9-15

King of Queens - Dec. 9, 15

Yes, Dear - Dec. 9

Everybody loves Raymond - Dec. 9

Still Standing - Dec. 9, 10

Crossing Jordan - Dec. 9

CSI: Miami - Dec. 9, 10

8 Rules for dating my daughter - Dec. 10

JAG - Dec. 10

Judging Amy - Dec. 10, 11

NYPD Blue - Dec. 10

Frasier - Dec. 10

Hidden Hills - Dec. 10

The Guardian - Dec. 11

Law & Order - Dec. 11, 13

CSI - Dec. 12

ER - Dec. 12

Without a trace - Dec. 13

Hack - Dec. 14

The Agency - Dec. 14

NCAA Basketball - Dec. 14

The District - Dec. 14, 15

Robbery: Homicide Division - Dec. 14, 15

Becker - Dec. 15

American Family - Dec. 15

Alias - Dec. 15

The Practice - Dec. 15

What more do you want or can get for that matter?

:(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
ExpressVu is a few months away from launching by far the biggest HDTV service in the world, offering more than any cable or satellite company anywhere.
Will this allow them to have more than Rogers Cable's current 8 channels (and planned ~13-15 channels for the start of next year)? Is there some link or inside information that you could provide that states that ExpressVu will actually offer more than Rogers?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey Dewi,

I wasn't aware of Rogers' expansion plans when I wrote my previous post, but from what you're saying, it looks like they will be pretty evenly matched in HDTV content. At the moment, Rogers is unquestionably the premier HDTV provider in the world, and it seems like BEV are the only ones interested in giving them a run for the money.

BEV's VP of technology, in an often-quoted interview, said they will be offering 10-16 HD channels after Nimiq 2 is in service. This will likely (and by that I mean I am assuming) include dedicated east and west network feeds. Rogers can offer them too, of course, and will need to.

Can Rogers offer more than they can in future -- yes, no question. Satellite companies have more limited bandwidth than cable.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For those of you who still think BEV's 2nd channel is a scam, here's tonights line up.

HDTV3 8-9pm Becker & Yes Dear

HDTV2 8-9pm American Family

HDTV3 9-11pm The man who saved Christmas

HDTV2 9-10pm Alias 10-11pm The Practice

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
but the way I see it, they're already showing Leno three nights a week more than any American DBS company.
I think that this is a red-herring argument. The bottom line is that the american DBS companies can't show Leno. EVU can. I can nearly guarantee that both Echostar and Directv would show Leno 5 nights a week of they could carry one feed and show it to the entire country, but they can't.

-Steve

·
Registered
871 Posts
Geoff,

Can you point to an online source of BEV programming info?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Bottom line is, Americans subscribing to ExpressVu are the ones scamming.

ExpressVu has the right to schedule its channels as it sees fit and is dedicating both channels to network or TMN/MC programming in prime time. Last week, when Leno wasn't on, they were showing CBS west programming and a movie on TMN.

Leno, incidentally, has minuscule ratings in Canada, behind Bullard, Letterman and Conan. If there's something else they can run in the Leno time slot, then they should. As far as I'm concerned, Leno's just one step above the demo reel.

Start complaining about the shows you want to see not being shown when one of the HDTV channels is not showing anything. If both are in use, then you have nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmitchmd
Geoff,

Can you point to an online source of BEV programming info?
This is the only one I know of ExpressVu HDTV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.