AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Post some pics and a description of your project in the main thread on AudioKarma so I can make you an "Official" E'Waver over there, now....

·
Registered
8,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab /forum/post/18699730

I'm not sure that's so good an idea as it might first appear: tilting the waveguide implies moving its acoustic center vertically further away from that of the woofer, increasing the center-to-center distance, and reducing the height of the forward vertical lobe. Paying attention to these factors, we were able to achieve a +/-15° (-6 dB) lobe using 152i; with 122i and a higher crossover frequency, it's barely half that, even with the 10" woofer.

[I don't know where the acoustic center actually is, but it's back there somewhere....
]

What? The lobing requirements in a typical design are mitigated to a great extent in this sort of layout because the axis of each driver is now the same as the ear position at the LP. So who cares if the HF driver is actually higher? The C-C spacing is not directly relevant as they are no longer on the same plane.

As for the 122, I agree, but I've gone back to the Ewaves for the HF flare.

(I must have missed some earlier notifications, hence the late reply)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well to start Im coming from a mixed match set of speakers for the fronts. I had CJD's big 3ways for mains and a Exodus Audio LCR for a center. All these were powered and still are by a Emo IPS amp.

First thing I noticed while listening to these Ewaves were the little details that werent as noticeable before, they just seemed to pop out more. Im thinking that maybe its because these speakers are more of a forward type of a speaker and it just puts every sound right out in front of you so you pick everything up better. Thats my theory.

Well after playing with them for awhile I started to turn the volume up more with movies and noticed right away how much distortion/compression I was hearing before. Very noticeable.
You can turn these guys up to -10 to -5 of ref and theres no EXTRA sheeet your hearing now. Two thumbs up! Now with music my cheap cd player gives out before the speakers do because of the bass is shaking everything like a mother f'er. Ill fix that by making something and put under it someday.

My plan is to build atleast 2 more for sides and if I dont up grade before then Ill get 2 more for rears. I was going to build some QSC 2150's for the fronts but decided to get my feet wet with these Ewaves first. I would have to shoe horn those big 2150's in my little 13x22 room anyways, next house.

Well heres where they sit for now. Like the stands. :p I got some pipe cut and threaded for my stands but havent finished them yet.

Now hidden behind the none finished screen. See a trend starting here?

cheers

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Also I have a question that Ive been meaning to ask since I built these.

The polarity on the DE250 is reversed, right?

thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
thx

More woofage? I dont think my house can take any more.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/19498500

Correct....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab
Correct....
thx again

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titch--
Also I have a question that Ive been meaning to ask since I built these.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab
Correct....
WHAT!!??!?
I hooked mine + to +!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you build the crossovers using the ZilchLab PC boards, the HF polarity is already reversed, as that is the standard EconoWave connection.

[If you build them on a cardboard pizza box with zip ties, duct tape, and wire nuts, you gotta pay more attention, is all....
]

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hey Trevor,

What box did you settle on? Are these being high-passed in the AVR bass management, if so what frequency?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/19499418

Hey Trevor,

What box did you settle on? Are these being high-passed in the AVR bass management, if so what frequency?

Im have them at xo'ed at 70 right now but started at 80. Still playing around with that. They are tuned to 50 and show it in REW, but my subs do a better job in that range so I will be staying around the 80ish range with these.

cheers

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/19498556

thx

More woofage? I dont think my house can take any more.

I thought you were running the Ewaves without sub support for some reason....remind me, what are you using for LFE??

JSS

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab /forum/post/19499036

If you build the crossovers using the ZilchLab PC boards, the HF polarity is already reversed, as that is the standard EconoWave connection.

[If you build them on a cardboard pizza box with zip ties, duct tape, and wire nuts, you gotta pay more attention, is all....
]

Whew, thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy /forum/post/19499850

I thought you were running the Ewaves without sub support for some reason....remind me, what are you using for LFE??

JSS

Im runnin a 4x18 ib. Two per manifold. You can see the manifolds beside the ewaves in the wall.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 /forum/post/19500410

Hey Trevor.

How did my old pair of speakers treat you.

I hope you enjoyed them the past while.

Mike

They treated me well.

cheers

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
thanks for posting your build and pics t-.

your system has a lot going for it. i bet that you are really enjoying it!

props again to z. and co. for bringing high efficiency back to the masses with this affordable and buildable design. jim would be proud.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts