AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with a 7.1 configuration with direct radiating rears (THX U2) how far apart are your 2 rear surrounds? I'm contemplating building columns for my paradigm mini-monitors to sit on/in and am looking for advice.

The rest of the system consists of Monitor 11's in the front with a cc370 center, ADP370's on the side, and a PSW2200 in a "front" corner.

Thanks!

Eric.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
First, THX and its derivatives are not all they're cracked up to be. My opinion is that di-polar speakers are a bane rather than a boon; we have enough channels that we want to know where the sounds are coming from. De-correlation has lost its importance.

Second, I'd suggest about the width of the seating, or maybe at the 1/3- and 2/3-of-room-width positions. Too close together, they may as well be one; too far apart, they'll lose their "back-there-as-opposed-to-here-and-here" effect.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that was one of the "improvements" of Ultra2, that they now recommend direct radiators in the rear and dipoles on the sides. I demo'd with the dipoles on the side and liked it a lot, but I also like having the direct radiators in the back to anchor things a bit more.

If worse comes to worse, I'll swap the sides and the rears, since the source of the back is really closer to a single channel anyway. From one source I read, they recommended putting the rears really close together, almost to the point of them being one source anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.