Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am having the hardest time choosing a Power Conditioner/Stabilizer.

My system:

MA Gold Series 5.1

Velodyne DD-18

Pioneer Elite DVD Player

Pioneer Elite 59TXi Receiver

Sony XBR950 LCD

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Monster AVS2000 and HTS 7000

Exact Power EP15A and SP15A combo

PS Audio 500

All three are approximately the same price. I'm leaning towards the PS Audio because it is one box and they seem to have the most experience in this field. I just wonder if 500 watts will be enough.

Thoughts or comments? Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I am a big fan of the PS Audio stuff, especially with Multi-Wave2, and I have 2 P600-MW2 in my setup. Since MW2 came out, I like them better than my previous Shunyata Hydra wiht Pyhton pwoer cord.

I highly doubt will be able to overload a P500 with all your gear plugged in.

In my one P600 , I have a CDP, 2-channel pre, HT processor, 3-way active crossover, and my big Sim Audio Titan 7-channel amp all plugged . Only under rare circumstances and insane volumes can I shutdown my P600.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy,

Does the PS Audio 500 provide power regeneration, EMI filtering, and balanced power? I believe it does all three.

-Brian

·
Registered
454 Posts
Brian,

I am also a big fan of PS Audio products and currently own a P600 and had a couple of P300s. The P500 does regenerate, offers EMI filter, surge protection and balanced. The only big negative is that it's not very effcient and produce lots of heat.

Andy,

Is there a significant improve in sound quality with the MWII? If you don't mind, can you describe the differences between the two?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I am sure glad you didn't mention Richard Gray Power Center, he and Exact Power are grossly over priced. You may want to research Audio Industries.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
From all I have read you will get the best results in removing noise from your system using a balanced isolation transformer. The ability of balanced transformers to remove electrical system noise is one thing all the experts agree on. They range from very expensive (Equitech) to the more moderate priced (Balanced Power Technology, Blue Circle) to the cheap (Tripp-Lite ISO1000). All do basically the same thing and will provide surge protection and EMI filtering I believe, but you should do your own research. Be sure you get one large enough to handle your power needs.

Dsmith

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I like my Exactpower unit. The efficiency of the design and lack of severe room heat generation tipped the scale for me. There is a review at the Secrets of Home Theater site. Exactpower offers a money back guarantee.

Power conditioning products must be evaluated in a specific system IMO to determine if they add value to your setup. Opinions are nice but the one that counts is yours in your system.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
The PS Audio Powerplants do generate balanced power.

Without getting into superlatives, the MW2 is well worth the money -> you will not be disappointed.

Check into the PS Audio forum here:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/psaudio/bbs.html

I was also surpised that my recent 2nd P600 sounded better than my 1st P600. I went Hmmmm ... then discovered that the 2nd P600 also had Powerports on it which really grip your power cords.

- Andy

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I think the Monster stuff is acceptable, but it is sometimes overlooked as not flagship as it is less esoteric and more of a mainstream name in the industry.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Monster, however, seems to be charging as much as the big boys.

-Brian

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Well, most Monster Cable line conditioners are around $200 from Parts Express for example. The Exact Power I was looking at is $3500. I still like Audio Industries, they are a little less, around $100. Richard Grey Power Company is pricey as well. It may be a matter of different model numbers.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Washington City is, for all intents and purposes, St. George.

Monster's Balanced power unit and power stabilizer list for $1,500 and $2,000. Not cheap.

Anyone have an opinion on BPT?

I'm leaning towards picking up a PS Audio 500 on Audiogon for $1500. One unit, decent price, and they seem to know what they are talking about.

-Brian

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Part Number 185-160 ( www.partsexpress.com )

Price: $349.95 EA

QUANTITY:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN STOCK? No, due 2/6/2004

Want us to email you when it arrives?

WEIGHT: 15.38 lbs.

CATALOG PAGE: 044*

Reference Power Center with CleanPowerâ„¢ 2.0 and LED volt-amp readouts deliver audiophile and videophile performance.

Monster Clean Powerâ„¢ Stage 2 v2.0 application-specific filters

Protects coax lines used with cable TV, DBS and DSS equipment from surge pulses

Sequenced AC Power turn on and turn off for equipment protection and overload prevention

2960 joule rating provides high capacity of surge absorption

8 ft. Monster PowerLine® 200 cable

Includes Monster internet® cable and SV1F-1M coax cable with 24 kt gold contact connectors

Switched and un-switched outlets

Tri-Mode circuitry provides the most comprehensive power protection available

17" x 9-3/4" x 4"

$400,000 connected equipment guaranty

Color-coded outlets, for error free handling

Verdict: Cheap, way cheaper than Exact Power and Richard Grey.

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/185-160m.jpg

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheaper yes, BUT, it does not provide balanced power or power stabilization.

Would not work for my needs...

-Brian

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Cheaper yes, BUT, it does not provide balanced power or power stabilization. .>>> Good point, I didn't look at that. Balanced power and power stabilization would be worth the extra cost. Do you, or anyone know if Monster has these features in any other of their models?

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bghead8che
Cheaper yes, BUT, it does not provide balanced power or power stabilization.

Would not work for my needs...

-Brian
what needs do you have?...is there a problem with your power? .... are there audible or visual problems that you can attribute to your power supply???

you are asking for advice but you don't give us the criteria to give you the best answer....

i have some ideas.... but you are not telling me the information that i need to give you the best answer....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Tubeguy,

I listed my system at the top. As stated in the first post, I want to get the best stabilizer, filter, and balanced power unit.

I think the Monster Units look really cool! However, I wonder if they are as good as the PS Audio unit.

Specifically:

AVS2000- http://www.monstercable.com/power/AVS2000_feature.asp

HTPS 7000- http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...er.asp?pin=586

I could get them both for $1,800 or the PS Audio 500 for $1,500. Which of the two would you get? Surely the Monster's weight, 100 lbs vs. 55 lbs for the PS Audio 500 accounts for something?

-Brian

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
brian,

power conditioners, filters, and/or stabilzers...and even "balanced power units".... were developed to solve a problem and/or problems....

spending up to $2,000 on a "conditioner" that you might not need..????

at the risk of being attacked here..... most power in the u.s. is really pretty good....

as a test ...get a cheap digital multimeter (you can find one for under $25) and plug the leads into one of your outlets.... and watch how the voltage varies..... you can see how much you need "voltage stabilization"...

my only suggestion.... buy whatever unit you decide upon at a local retailer with a good return policy... try it... if it doesn't significantly improve your sound and/or video... take it back!

all of these units also provide surge protection... THAT is important..... but there are much better options for that at a much lower cost....

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.