AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a beautiful set of PolkAudio speakers. Lsi25s up front, lsicenter, and LsiFX in the back. Now the problem, I don't have a 4 ohm receiver! Argh!!!! I had a Harman Kardon AVR 525 receiver, but then I just found out why it kept on shutting off.

Well, needless to say, the Harman is on Ebay right now, and until I find the right receiver my polks and HT-1000 projector will be collecting dust! It's so sad to see it there, hanging from my ceiling.

Please help!

Joel

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Joel

If your talking power needs and you look at recievers accross the board once you go over 100w perch all channels driven, the cost of power not features is your issue.

If you can get a well featured inxpensive reciever and find an old (meaning cheap) but pwerful amp to drive the 4ohmers you've got it made.

I have a Denon 5800/03 which drives 5 4ohm Totems with 87 sensitivity.

The Denons at the lower end of the cost scale have all of the features but as power goes up so does cost.

Even at 170w perch it still needs mor juice for some 4ohmers like Totem Mani-2's with the dual back to back woofers.

I'm not familiar with you speakers but if their 4 ohm X 5 speakers like mine. It's either a Flagship with 170w or more or separates with maybee the big Outlaw up front. It might be a little more economical but it's not in the price range you mentioned unless its very very used.

Peter m.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
crazy4plaid,

I agree with Peter. Unless you go for the big league receivers, nothing under 700 will have the caps and power supply unit required to handle 4 Ohm loads comfortably.

May be you can take a look at the H/K 7200. I understand prices are dropping now the 7300 has been announced.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'd keep th HK, get a 2 channel amp, and use the amp to run the fronts and the HK to run the rears (I assume it can be set up that way). That SHOULD save you.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy4plaid
hmmmm, a little bit steep. I was looking for something under the 700 mark... Thanks though!
You can get it cheaper (some are demos) at Spearit Sound . I've never ordered from them so I don't know whether they are goor or not but it does not hurt giving them a call.;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll look into an amp.

Any thoughts on Sony's DA1000es? It supports 4 ohms, but I can't find a review for the life of me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.