AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dale Cripps has an very good interview with ATSC Chairman Robert Graves here. A must-read for all. Some quotes I liked were:

"If you try to make a digital television system be all things to all people for all applications for all times, you are going to suboptimize. We in the USA think the prime application of digital television--a huge bit rate to do HDTV and a lot more--to the greatest number of fixed receivers possible, both indoors and outdoors, is what we should continue to be focused upon."

[regarding changes to the ATSC standard to get better reception]

"The request for proposal we issued did not rule out the ability to consider something not backwards compatible, but made clear that a huge priority would be given to the backwards compatible approaches. Backward compatible by means that the people who have already invested in DTV receivers one day don't get up and find they don't work. I am one of those receiver owners and share their concerns. I also will tell them that I am not worried, and they should not be worried."

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
159 Posts
This was a great interview; thanks for posting the link. I would say that he is probably a bit on the optimist side of the fence (so am I in general on these topics), but reading it gave me new hope that the broadcasters, cable, MPAA and others that are standing in the way of full scale adoption of DTV and HDTV broadcasting are not fools.

They organizations are staffed by business people that are protecting their own interests....as long as they can. The DTV train has left the station and is building up speed, with broadcasters, cable and the MPAA running along the side, wondering when to jump on. As soon as the train is approaching the speed at which they think they MIGHT be too late, they'll jump on, or risk 1) being left behind or 2) being injured (read: not getting everything they want) when they try to.

I'm in an area of the country where my local AT&T Cable people don't even acknowledge the EXISTENCE of DTV stations currently on the air in the SF Bay area. I know that some of you can actually receive DTV broadcasts through cable. It is only inevitable that all cable broadcasters will make the transition. I just wish it were sooner rather than later.

The MPAA fought Beta VCRs...and lost. They fought DVD encryption....and got some of what they wanted (I guess). But, you know...they've made BOATLOADS of money out of BOTH of those formats. I don't think HDTV will be any different.

I, for one, have not yet bought an HDTV tuner to match my Toshiba TW65X81, but I'm getting closer.

Articles like this make me want to run out and buy!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the advice http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif That was kind of my worry, too.

We don't watch a lot of the CBS shows, but with The Practice coming down in HD this fall, I may have to bite. Unfortunately, almost ALL of our viewing is tape delayed; with kids to get into bed, we never seem to be able to watch those 8:00, 9:00 and 10:00 primetime shows live.

That's been one of my hangups in buying a stb. I wanted to wait until I could get one with a 1394/5C interface and a D-VHS recorder with the same to capture the shows....at an AFFORDABLE price. Not into paying $2K for a VCR. We're closer on that front, I guess, but still not out of the woods.

Still waiting for the IDEAL stb...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.