AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of these new JVC's @BB today to compare with my RP-62S (sage equipped) today. The Panny lost my shootout. Both players ran me $89 open box. That is where the comparisons end. It's damn amazing to me how much player a $100 bill gets these days. This machine plays ALL the formats, has Zoom (icon lasts maybe 2 seconds), time remaining, coax AND toslink, nice remote, stylish, and a slick menu interface. It has all kinds of picture control, plays MP3's (displays filenames on-screen), MP3 Folders as well, & has a 3 step display dimmer. Heck, the drawer is lit up like blue neon (can be disabled). It cues up a DVD in 4 seconds! It also has the most smoking fast forward I've ever seen, like 60X! The best part is the picture. VERY NICE. Very "filmlike" & no chroma bug. I needed something for the bedroom, as I just got a 32" HD Sony VVega (32HS500). I'm thinking the JVC can fill in until a DVI upscaler hits, as my new TV has DVI. I have crossed fingers for the new Samsung HD931 machine. The Panny was not pleasing on my Sony tube. I have an RP-91K in my HT, hooked to a 55" Mits HDTV. It is nice and sharp. The RP82 I had was sharper & not as nice. The RP62 was as sharp as the 82, but a very entry level machine. For the money, this JVC is excellent. I can't say if it scales or not, as I'ts hooked to a 4:3. It's on sale @ BB this week for $113.
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...model=XV-N50BK

:D :D :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
"Ultra-high-performance 1-chip AV decoder featuring Adaptive Geometrical Chroma Mapping "

Dang! Now, is that marketing speak or what?? :D Have no clue what the heck that means.

Hmmm... Only 6 zoom steps. That's definitely different from the previous 2 or 3 generations of JVC players that had 13 steps. Maybe I should get one from J&R to see for myself about possible scaling capabilities.

_Man_

·
Registered
404 Posts
Weird, the 50/55 lists as 13 step zoom on both Amazon and the (US) JVC website press release.

I think I might grab one this week to see if the zooming is automatic for properly flagged non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs. The HT section of my BB is so under-manned that the sales people wouldn't be able to catch me to give the ol' service plan speech before I get to the register.:)

·
Registered
931 Posts
looks just like the 500 does it have a diffferent decoder now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't seem to find any other reviews on this unit, must be pretty new. You say that it looks better than the Panasonic you compared it with? How does it compare on video-based material as opposed to film?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Great point Hysterik! If it's still using the Mediamatics chip, then we know it will have excellent deinterlacing on film-based material and only so-so deinterlacing on video-based material. It's good to hear that the Zoom icon shuts off this year!

·
Registered
505 Posts
FWIW, the US JVC website also has the same 6-step zoom spec for this player under the players section. Didn't see any press release for it though.

Anyway, it's probably still using a Mediamatics all-in-one chip, but maybe it's the new Pantera III. So maybe there's hope for better video-based linedoubling. For me, if it offers proper manual scaling, instead of relying on flags alone, that's good enough at that price.

_Man_

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Can anyone confirm what chip this does use for video based material?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you google for "JVC 2003 DVD" the press release is at the top of the list. The actual page for the press release is now 404ed, but the cached page on Google still has it.

I'm going to try again to get it today or tomorrow. My wife went to the local BB yesterday and they were all out. Sales guy said people keep returning them, because they couldn't see the difference between it and a "regular" player. And the salespeople tried it out at the store and found the same thing. Hell, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with those uncalibrated over-contrasted sets either. Then they gave her a lame line about it "only" having 10-bit video while player x has 12-bit. Then, they suggested a Sony progressive player... Anyway, that's why I'd rather zip through without being bothered by people who don't know what they're talking about.

I'm not saying I know for a fact that this player is good, but those reasons were obviously lame to those that follow this forum.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just thought I'd tune in and say that I compared this model to a panasonic in the same price range (forgot the model) and it absolutely BLEW it away!!! Much better picture than I was expecting coming from HTPC. Fed only component to a Pany AE-100 projector and I felt the picture was better than my HTPC running PowerDVD (it is an underpowered HTPC, I admit, but can still run pixel-perfect). Colors were MUCH better as was picture depth. Played DVD's all Easter Day without a hitch. The Fifth Element (not Superbit) looked STUNNING and I'm almost positive it and SW:E2 looked better than on my HTPC. I'd definatly give this player a look in this price range!!!

I'm no expert, and this is the first DVD specific machine I've bought...so take this with a couple of grains of salt....

Drew

(I was looking for an Panny RP62 and the guy showed me what was supposed to be it's replacement....that's the one I compared the JVC with)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.