Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I can get either a used Denon 3910 or 5900 for a really good price. Which one would you recommend i should go for? They are about the same price. I know there are alot of issues with the 5900 but they already resolved? Will i see the macroblocking thing on my plasma with 5900. I using the Pioneer 434 plasma with HDMI input.

3910 has the same problems as 5900?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Arshad

I've heard that the 5900 over DVI is better than the 3910. However, if your display exhibits the macroblocking problem, the 3910 may be the better choice.

Is this a situation where you can take both home and try them??

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
It depends on what you want. do you want better audio or pic? if you want slightly better audio and way better build quality the 5900 would be a great choice but if you want pretty equal video then the 3910 is a better choice they are very equal. build quailty like i said is a different story. the mb i cant really coment on. also the 3910 has hdmi the 5900 dont if 4x3 pillar box is important to you the 3910 does it and 5900 dont.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi JimP,

I don't know the my particular dispay exhibits the macroblocking or not? I can't take them home as they are both with different people and i have only contact with them through the local forum. Thank for the advice anyway.

Hi kevinca1,

Well they are about the same price. So i guess i want better pq but ofcourse audio comes along with it so no harm in that. But i think the 3910 has an edge over the 5900 by having hdmi and as i heard no macroblocking issues. There are thousand threads about 5900 having maccroblocking issues and what not. I'm not very fond of build quality, I'm sure the 3910 is not bad, all i want is bug free player. It's just that reading so many post about problems with Denon dvd player make me worried.

Anyway i'll wait and see which one i end up with.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
interesting I can not find any macroblocking on my 5900 even on bugs life chap.22.Of course it does have the very latest firmware so maybe that has something to with it.also maybe it is just very compatible with my hitachi rptv.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi steviec,

How do you know which firmware is the latest? Can you see it in the dvd player?

In my area it is called A11 and i don't really know if the dealers here provide any firmware update at all.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Arshad:

When I bought the 5900 a few weeks ago and registered it on the Denon website Denon Jeff sent me the newest firmware overnight and also included the firmware to activate the dvi.They are separate upgrades. Great customer service!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scpanel
I am really struggling with this one. I am still using my Panny XP 30, do you really get 1K more in performance?
You may be better off keeping the XP30 until BluRay comes of age. The Secrets DVD Shootout shows that player holds its own against the highly-regarded Denon units.

Why mess with success?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Other than StevieC, I'd love to hear from 5900 owners that have demo'd the 3910 (or vice versa). Having upgrade from a Pioneer Elite 45a (crappy in the video department, not too bad in the audio department), I'm floored by the audio performance of my 3910. I haven't had the opportunity to A/B it with a 5900, so I can't compare the two. What exactly are the differences in audio performance between these two players?

Jason

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
You may be better off keeping the XP30 until BluRay comes of age. The Secrets DVD Shootout shows that player holds its own against the highly-regarded Denon units.
That is exactly why I am still using the XP30! But I I try to be open minded and if something new really makes sense and blows it away, then I am willing to give it a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.