AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

I just read that article as well. A very good read. I for one do not care if it has PS DVD Playback. I have a Progressive DVD player for that.

For those that are bummed, dont be. I have been told by several sources that it will be very easy to "turn back on" Progressive scan for DVD movie playback on the Xbox. Whether this is true or not, I cant say. The people seemed VERY CONFIDENT.

Hardware wise its all go.

Hell, MAME is up and already running on Xbox dev kits.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Carlos-

That's up to you I suppose. Obviously the graphics will be MUCH better at a higher resolution. There is no way that it wouldn't take a performance hit, unless they cap FPS on the lower resolutions to offer 60FPS no matter what? I don't know. All I know is that I will have an Xbox the day they come out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think it's sad, since 1080i upscaled DVD from X-Box would have sparked a revolution in stand-alone DVD players, when everyone saw how much better 1080i is than 480p. My guess is that Microsoft feared such a revolution, as they expect to lose money on the consoles while making it on the games.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

·
Registered
275 Posts
To the experts,

I have a progressive scan DVD player for movies, but I want to get a game console.

My question is: Does it matter to the quality of the experience of the game if the signal is progressive or not?

I know it does for movies, but games?

Thank you for your help.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well here's my 2 cents...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft would probably have the frame rates locked to the refresh rate to avoid visual tearing. And if that was the case then wouldn't you be locked at 30 fps for 480i, and 60 fps for 480p. Also I would think at least as far as games go, text would be much sharper with 480p and wouldn't shimmer.

As far as the DVD stuff goes I'm really bummed they cut the functionality. I'm even thinking of canceling the dvd control from my pre-order... Already have a 480i dvd player. But I can understand with them losing money on every unit and now talk that they may only have 300,000 units for launch, why they might be hesitant to incorporate such a ground breaking feature. Paying $300 for an xbox sure beats spending $2000 on a HTPC with that same functionality. I would bet in the future it will be "turned on" or perhaps a 3rd party upgrade for it.

-Andy

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Andy, You would assume the frame rate lock but witness what happens to some field rendered PS2 games output @ 60fps. Sometmes the frame rate drops and you get very obvious tearing.

If all xbox game output is progressive (which contrdicts the thought that 1080i games may come out in the future) then this field based rendering malarky should not be an issue but you never know.

BTW, games with fast movement and/or lots of horizontal lines/edges would be markedly better in progressive as opposed to interaced.

[This message has been edited by divvy (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arthurvino:
Are some HDTV games gonna be in 16x9 format??
Most likely, all HDTV games will be in 16x9 format. Unfortunately, I havn't heard of a single HDTV game. You gotta keep in mind, a 1920x1080 image has 2 million pixels, vs. a little over 300,000 for a 640x480 image. If they design a game that can run at 30 fps in low-res, it'll probably run at single-digit fps in HDTV (I'm generalizing, it all depends on if the GPU is saturated at the low resolution, among other things...). So they can either sacrifice image quality and scene complexity in the game to get HDTV at decent framerates, or forget about the 200 XBox owners who own HDTVs and make the game really pretty for the other 2 million. That makes me sad, because games on my HTPC running at 720p on a Cinema13HD (9' screen) look INCREDIBLE.

Apparently Madden NFL 2002 will support 16x9 (it says so at the end of this video: http://www.xbox.com/console/games/ma...02-01-hi.asx), but I don't know at what resolution. Perhaps it's only going to be "anamorphic" but at normal 480i.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arthurvino:
Are some HDTV games gonna be in 16x9 format??
Most likely, all HDTV games will be in 16x9 format. Unfortunately, I havn't heard of a single HDTV game. You gotta keep in mind, a 1920x1080 image has 2 million pixels, vs. a little over 300,000 for a 640x480 image. If they design a game that can run at 30 fps in low-res, it'll probably run at single-digit fps in HDTV (I'm generalizing, it all depends on if the GPU is saturated at the low resolution, among other things...). So they can either sacrifice image quality and scene complexity in the game to get HDTV at decent framerates, or forget about the 200 XBox owners who own HDTVs and make the game really pretty for the other 2 million. That makes me sad, because games on my HTPC running at 720p on a Cinema13HD (9' screen) look INCREDIBLE.

Apparently Madden NFL 2002 will support 16x9 (it says so at the end of this video: http://www.xbox.com/console/games/ma...02-01-hi.asx), but I don't know at what resolution. Perhaps it's only going to be "anamorphic" but at normal 480i.

·
Registered
294 Posts
a posting at www.teamxbox.com clears things up. All games support 640x480 both interlaced and progressive. Some games will support 16x9, as the developer sees fit. These games will essentially have an anamorphic mode for widescreen TVs. Some games will support 1920x1080, which will be 16x9 format only (no 4x3 mode). Of course they will run in 480i and 480p modes as well for the very few people who have not yet bought an HDTV (in 4x3 mode) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.