AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new Digital Video Essentials disc and I noticed on the Sharpness test pattern, I couldn't eliminate the "ringing" or "halos" around the words and lines. The effect looks identical to "Edge Enhancement" that apparently plagues many discs. I ASSUME that a test disc like DVE would NOT contain edge enhancement of any kind. My DVD player is a Panasonic RP-62K. Up until that test, I thought it gave me a great picture-- at least with the right source material (AOTC, Superbit DVDs, etc). Now I'm not so sure. Is the ringing or "excessive sharpness" an artifact produced by the DVD player, or is it a because of my projector (a Panasonic PT-L300U)? I turned the sharpness all the way down on the PJ and yet I still saw the ringing around the words and lines.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
How does it look on the AVIA DVD's sharpness pattern for comparison? Some displays have SVM/VSM turned on that causes problems too. Display the needle pulses test pattern and make sure the white and black vertical line is the same thickness - that reveals if SVM/VSM is on or off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.