AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Samsung LN40A550, but after seeing a friend's Panasonic plasma, I'm wondering if I should return the LCD and save a few bucks by going with the slightly larger (2") Panasonic TH-42PX80U.

I sit about 9-10' away from the TV, so the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't a big deal. The room has little to no direct sunlight and low ambient light, so glare isn't a big issue. My only concern is the potential for burn in because I do some gaming, although not a lot.

So, should I return the LCD and go with the Plasma?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well if your friend's is 720p & your happy with the way the picture looks I say go for it. Also at 10 feet, especially with a 42" screen, your really not going to be able to tell the difference between 720p & 1080p. And burn in is really a thing of the past with most of the newer plasma tvs today but as always make sure you can return it just incase you don't like it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Exactly, and if the size and savings is worth the trouble for you, then yeah go for it. Ten feet from that TV is more than enough to not tell the difference in resolution. On the burn-in, just run the break-in DVD from the plasma break-in thread for a few days and you shouldn't have any issues if you keep it off torch mode, which has been said before.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
at 9ft or more you are going to have a hard time noticing 1080p on a 50" set. never mind a 42" thats just markting UNLESS you are like 6ft or close.....

Resolution is the LAST thing you consider on a tv purchase.

and last I WOULDswitch your lcd for plasma, lcd have more flaws that are visable, Sure plasma has flaws as well but its more visable in a lcd.

You will see improve blacks ~ more shadow detail no overly birght screen and so much more in plasma.

I would go for plasma over lcd for the HT and or gaming. i would only have a mid end lcd for my pc or laptop and not even that. Actually for a cell phone would be ideal since you dont game or look at fast content on cell phones.

get a pananasonic plasma or a pioneer if you can pay the price even the non elite is very worth the price

·
Registered
460 Posts
That Panny plasma has less input lag and has better shadow detail for dark games than that Samsung LCD. I have the Samsung LN40A650 LCD and the 42px80 and the Panny is the one I game on exclusively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.