AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They delivered my 2nd 51swx this morning.Fired it up and it had 2 areas with dead pixels.Also,it won't hold convergence after I turn it off.CC is bringing me another one in the morning.Am I being overly picky? Regards,Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe give the next one a little burn in time before you return it... Mine wasn't too great with convergence at first either, but it's quite good now. 51swx20b, btw.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hope you have better luck. I have had mine since the beginning of October and have had no major problems so far. In fact it seems that as my set breaks in, the picture quality just keeps getting better and better. I did have a red push in the beginning and had to use the high color temperature setting, but before the end of the first month I was using the standard color temperature with good results. I changed the ISF values to the ones that were posted here with great results. I have also used the AVIA DVD to adjust my set, but found I rather do it by eye. Maybe later I'll change my mind. I have COX high definition cable, which is unbelievable, also I have a Panasonic DVD-RP82 which gives me fantastic picture quality of my DVD's. I also have all Monster cables and a Monster line conditioner. I hope you enjoy your set as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
BTW, can you explain what you mean by dead pixels. When I think of LCD's, CCD chips, and so on, then I think of dead pixels. I never heard of it with CRT's. I'm just trying to learn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dead pixels on the screen that the crt's project on.Looks like particles of dirt or something.They don't light up when the beam from the crt hits it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
whether these are actually pixels or not (don't think so), I do have 2 extremely small specks on mine (inside the protective screen) that appear to be dirt or someting. I have to literally get to within about 6" of the screen to actually see them, so I am ignoring them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Their are no dead pixels on CRT tv's, you probably have a scratched or a mark on the lenticular screen.. or possibly a very small mark on one of the crt's itself but no dead pixels..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,whatever.I got my 3rd set today and it seems perfect.No burns at the bottom like my 1st one. No scratches or marks on the screen or red streaks in the darker scenes like I noticed last night watching a DVD.I'm a broadcast video operator for remote sports and entertainment productions and I might be a bit pickier than most,but I will not except a product with flaws.Especially big ticket ones.I would not buy a new car with a ding in the door.I think Hitachi has a quality control problem at it's Mexican factory.I stayed with the Hitachi because I think it has the best CRT design therefore the best pq.Thanks to all for their input. Pete

·
Registered
976 Posts
Red streaks near black could be a chroma bug from your dvd player. double check your player by watching the red & black checkerboard scene in Toy Story.

As far as CC taking back a set for the 2nd time, how much of a time window did they allow you after you got set #2? I know that on the 1st return, it is normally 30 days. Except if you buy over the holidays (now), and the final date for returns is Jan. 31, 2003.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked out my DVD player a while back when I learned about the chroma bug.Mine doesn't have it.They never mentioned a return window.I bought the 1st set on Nov.29.Returned it onDec.10th.Got 2nd set on Dec.11th.Called about the problems that afternoon and they replaced it this morning(Dec.12).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.