AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really getting aggrevated about exclusives. I simply don't understand this mentality. If it really is all dollars and cents, wouldn't you make more money selling across 3-4 platforms instead of 1? I know they are trying to sell hardware, but it is quite annoying. Why the rant now? Alan Wake was just cancelled for PC because " "Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen,” the platform holder told our sister site CVG." " See link below.

That's BS...what about those of us who have our PC plugged into our large TV. Bastards.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/alan-wake-pc-cancelled

I have a PS3, Wii and Gaming PC. I don't have an XBOX 360 and I don't want one.

Fable 2 is another one that MSFT said they have no intention of bringing to PC. I WANT TO PLAY IT!

I'm not a PS3 fanboy either, Demon's Souls, God of War, etc should be on XBOX. It would double their sales...I don't get it.

Who else feels this way?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/18128937

I'm really getting aggrevated about exclusives. I simply don't understand this mentality. If it really is all dollars and cents, wouldn't you make more money selling across 3-4 platforms instead of 1? I know they are trying to sell hardware, but it is quite annoying. Why the rant now? Alan Wake was just cancelled for PC because " "Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen, the platform holder told our sister site CVG." " See link below.

That's BS...what about those of us who have our PC plugged into our large TV. Bastards.

Fable 2 is another one that MSFT said they have no intention of bringing to PC. I WANT TO PLAY IT!

I'm not a PS3 fanboy either, Demon's Souls, God of War, etc should be on XBOX. It would double their sales...I don't get it.

Who else feels this way?

I have been a PC Gamer for over 15 years. PC gaming is dying a slow death due to the "Ghetto Gaming" (PS3 and XBOX360) Consoles. Most people are happy with the experience of these "Ghetto Systems" because they cannot afford or have never gamed on a very high end PC. The developers know that a large % of gamers are now on the consoles. If is very hard to pirate on the consoles and very easy on the PC. There is no tech support on the consoles while it can be required on the PC. It is all about money and consoles are money makers for developers. PC gamers are a dying breed. I remember when we had the upper hand... That is no longer the case.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/18129002

I have been a PC Gamer for over 15 years. PC gaming is dying a slow death due to the "Ghetto Gaming" (PS3 and XBOX360) Consoles. Most people are happy with the experience of these "Ghetto Systems" because they cannot afford or have never gamed on a very high end PC. The developers know that a large % of gamers are now on the consoles. If is very hard to pirate on the consoles and very easy on the PC. There is no tech support on the consoles while it can be required on the PC. It is all about money and consoles are money makers for developers. PC gamers are a dying breed. I remember when we had the upper hand... That is no longer the case.

Those are good points, but even with that said, make all games playable for PS3 and XBOX 360. Developers design around the 360 because it's the lowest common denominator.

Along with what you are saying, it's really only been this generation of consoles that has the quality been of such that it's starting to equate to gaming. If visual quality doesn't take a huge leap forward from here, I wouldn't cry. Only this generation of graphics have I really been satisfied.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
It is indeed annoying, especially when we're given illogical explanations as to why there won't be a PC release. That's Microsoft Game Studios for ya.

I just recently gave up gaming on the 360, so I hope I'm not missing much by not playing this game. Then again, I'll likely be too busy playing Mafia II to even think about it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
This is very odd, especially because it's a Microsoft game. M$ makes most of it's money off of PCs, I think, so why screw over the PC community? It's not like someone is going to purchase a XBox360 just for a single game.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/18128937

I'm really getting aggrevated about exclusives. I simply don't understand this mentality. If it really is all dollars and cents, wouldn't you make more money selling across 3-4 platforms instead of 1? I know they are trying to sell hardware, but it is quite annoying. Why the rant now? Alan Wake was just cancelled for PC because " "Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen, the platform holder told our sister site CVG." " See link below.

Who else feels this way?

Exclusives have been around as long as there has been electronic gaming. Did you complain about Atari and Colecovision having exclusives?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18141732

Nothing new with MS though, they haven't published a PC game in ~3yrs so it's not like no Alan Wake was unexpected.

It was somewhat unexpected considering Remedy is the developer and they announced PC development back in 2005. Plus the whole DX11 thing and all...people were expecting M$ to showcase their new API.

BTW, M$ published a Zoo Tycoon game in late 2008 for the PC so your dates are a bit off.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
If you own a PS3, a Wii, and a PC, why would you not get a 360? Heck you already own just about all the systems anyway, might as well go with one more. I've paired down my spending to a PS3, 360, and a PC. There are certain types of games I enjoy on each and each makes me happy. Either boycott the company or buy the console to play the game. Bitching does no good and just gets annoying.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
This is what happens when a huge chunk of the userbase on a platform has no interest in buying software for it. Look at Dreamcast for an example on console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/18130111

This is very odd, especially because it's a Microsoft game. M$ makes most of it's money off of PCs, I think, so why screw over the PC community? It's not like someone is going to purchase a XBox360 just for a single game.

MS doesn't make money off PC gaming. They make most of their money off of Windows and Office, and you don't need gaming to move those. Most Windows licenses are sold through OEMs.

At the same time, the growth in the Windows and Office markets have slowed, so MS has been trying to diversify for a long time. One of their more successful ventures has been Xbox so that's where MS' gaming focus is.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/18129348

It is indeed annoying, especially when we're given illogical explanations as to why there won't be a PC release. That's Microsoft Game Studios for ya.

I just recently gave up gaming on the 360, so I hope I'm not missing much by not playing this game. Then again, I'll likely be too busy playing Mafia II to even think about it.

I still play the 360 but, always have been more of a PC gamer. I didn't know Mafia II was coming out....I loved part one (great story), I'm looking forward to this one and it's coming for the PC....Yea !!!!

The one thing I was ticked off is the GTA 4 addons only for the 360...I picked up the 360 version of GTA4 but, ended up buying the PC version, when your married, I can't take up the primary TV (the only huge HD set) alll night to play games. And I like these games with a keyboard and mouse better...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yep MS is kinda killing pc gaming slowly.. cant believe people pay to play multiplayer on peer 2 peer servers through XBL. That Epic studios is console exclusive when their roots were pc(unreal). Goes to show how much money talks. Even crytek is building a crysis game for consoles.. so sad cuz they will have to cut so many corners to make it run on them.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 /forum/post/18168097

Yep MS is kinda killing pc gaming slowly.. cant believe people pay to play multiplayer on peer 2 peer servers through XBL. That Epic studios is console exclusive when their roots were pc(unreal). Goes to show how much money talks. Even crytek is building a crysis game for consoles.. so sad cuz they will have to cut so many corners to make it run on them.

Yea money does talk when you have employees to pay and it costs $10 million+ to make a game.

If PC gamers bought as much software as console gamers, Epic and Crytek wouldn't have to do this. That's just not the case.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18168260

Yea money does talk when you have employees to pay and it costs $10 million+ to make a game.

If PC gamers bought as much software as console gamers, Epic and Crytek wouldn't have to do this. That's just not the case.

Good point. Oh well atleast my wallet isnt hurting as much with upgrades for my pc now I play on consoles. lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18168260

I don't necessarily believe that. I believe that publishers are petrified of piracy on PC and therefore want the console structure.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/18169285

I don't necessarily believe that. I believe that publishers are petrified of piracy on PC and therefore want the console structure.

I think that delves into his point a bit. Piracy is a real issue and is one large aspect as to why it may not be financially worth putting extra resources into a PC version of a game. It is so simple to download/install an illegal copy of a PC game that virtually anyone over the age of 15 can do it.

There are other factors involved, but the more gamers who are too cheap to buy their own copies of PC games, the less viable the PC is as a gaming platform.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/18169285

Of course publishers want the console structure. But ultimately it comes down to sales (and piracy is part of that). Console games sell way better than PC games. Gears of War was Epic's best selling game.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
It's not just MS who's killing off PC gaming but EA and UBISoft as well. UBISoft with their new draconian protection "online all the time" system to play a PC game will make me never buy one of their games ever again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.