AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 1964 almost 40 years from participating in my first autopsy, after watching this DVD I feel Like I have attended my 6th. Our Doctor/Teacher said before you can cure with naturals you must see what diseased organs look like, this movie would be a nauseating movie if you never attended or participated in a autopsy, who else felt like I did watching David Cronenburgs "eXistenZ" starring Jenifer Jason Lee, and Jude Law?

P.S. I recognized the guy who played in "Scanners" himself a scanner who got rid of his voices through art, and the human robot that spurt white milk colored blood from "Alien" as game players.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
IMHO, Cronenberg's finest film is "Dead Ringers" about the twin gynecological surgeons. Quietly horrifying. It got a Criterion edition, but it's now out of production. I would say that I would like to have it, but even the Criterion edition was non-anamorphic. I hope they'll make an SE someday.

My favorite Cronenberg films in order:

1. Dead Ringers

2. The Fly

3. Crash

Three way tie for 4th: The Dead Zone, Videodrome, eXistenZ, Scanners

I don't really care for "Naked Lunch" or "M. Butterfly", and I haven't yet seen "Spider" or "The Brood."

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I'm not an especially big fan of Cronenberg, but find his working an interesting/challenging change of pace from time to time.

Existenz seemed like an interesting little mind trip, but that could be because I was in a particularly receptive mood, and had no expectations for it. I didn't make it through Naked Lunch, and haven't seen Dead Ringers yet. Of the films I can recall, I'd probably go with Deadzone as my preference, because it requires the least work to watch. The Brood could end up being my first Cronenberg DVD purchase though. I've been eyeing it since Halloween mainly because it stars Oliver Reed. Not enough room on the shelf for it yet though. Maybe if it hits the $5 dump bins at Walmart.

I think Cronenberg has been influential on many younger directors though. Movies like Donnie Darko, The Butterfly Effect, Final Destination, and perhaps even the Matrix, etc. seem somewhat Cronenbergian. I'm far from an expert though on the subject.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
EXistenZ did not knock me out, though it was enjoyable. My personal favorite, believe it or not, is Videodrome. I haven't caught Spider yet.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The fist time I ever saw Videodrome was on some late night showing and due to self medication I fell asleep (passed out / give it a name) and came to just at the gun / belly scene... Coming round and having your eyes and mind slowly come into focus on that scene was a shock !!

Personally I like Cronenberg films and especially like Naked Lunch as I am a big fan of Burroughs... Of course he was way away from (and it would be near impossible to literaly make Burroughs surreal disjointed writing fit the screen) the written text but cleverly transposed Burroughs own surreal addicted life into the plot... The effects look dated now, but as it touches a written medium I like and a man whose works and life I have read a lot on I have a soft spot for this one..

Spider I have not yet seen but from what I have allowed myself to read I think I am going to like..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I watched Spider two weeks ago and found it very interesting to watch, but not exactly enjoyable. It was interesting in the sense of being an observer of the behavior and habits of a subject you are studying. Like being the psychiatrist watching a patient, sort of a Norman Bates, outside of the padded cell; or an entomologist studying an insect in a contained and controlled mock up of its natural habitat.

Naked Lunch I grabbed as soon as Criterion released it. It is one of my favorites, partly for the same reasons as Phat Phreddy.

Videodrome I saw during it's initial theater release and loved it. However, on multiple subsequent cable viewings it has lost it's appeal to me. James Woods, nonetheless, started becoming one of my favorite character actors with that movie.

Scanners I have absolutely loved since first seeing it in the theater. It has continued to be a favorite on multiple viewings. The concept, the acting, the SP FX, the cinematography still give me a kick. I could understand perhaps how some would want to just call it a guilty pleasure, though, sort of like The Howling.

Dead Ringers I did not care for. I immediately had a bad feeling for it and cannot get passed that on subsequent viewings. The same for another twins "classic", Sisters; I can't stand it. I don't like to look at Margot Kidder, she almost ruined Superman for me as Lois Lane, and I almost equally can't stand looking at Jeremy Irons. So that may be my only reason for disliking Dead Ringers. I never really tried to analyze my feelings about it until just now.

The Fly was another excellent movie, but one of those that are diminished and demeaned by its sequel, I think.

Dead Zone, if you are speaking of the one with Christopher Walken, was a typical Stephen King based bore.

I haven't even seen eXistenZ, Crash, Brood, or M.Butterfly (because isn't Jeremy Irons in it?).

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best thing about Videodrome was actress/singer Deborah Harry her rock group was named after her when she bleached her hair Blonde hence the groups name "Blondie". I have her DVD which contains all the best songs the 1980's group made, also when she was really young and beautiful with that platinum hair and slim figure and they way she looked at you~bedroom eyes for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah, I suppose there was some of that kind of appeal, although I was never a Blondie fan at all.

The appeal was moreso that for its day the FX were pretty good. But, mainly, it was the creepy feel of the subliminal mind control through the TV theme that grabs you, just as the more recent Ring or, to a lesser quality, Fear dot com did.

Still, of the movies I've mentioned that I've seen I think Naked Lunch was Cronenberg's best.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RBO You have never seen a "Best of Blondie" DVD on a line doubled HDTV either have you? Quite a stunning treat to see her as she was, exactly how young and beautiful performer on anamorphic Progressive DVD Player on my line doubled HDTV. I own her and she will perform for me any time I am pleased to see her, for unlike the 2 of us she never ages due to DVD. In 30 years, she will still turn me on by her very pretty face and hair color! I will be 86 years of age but still a man; who just loves pretty young things that have bedroom eyes and kiss you cyberpathically. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.