AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a product exists to send HD over a single coax cable from a receiver to a TV?

Any format, as long as the signal can get to the TV at 1080i or 720p.

The situation is this:

The building already has a single high quality coax run to every TV and a few of the runs are sealed and would require opening up walls (not an option).

I can't logically think of a reason why a active balun doens't exist to compress component video to Coax, then back out to component again.

Any ideas, or am I overlooking something basic here.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck19111 /forum/post/0

Does anyone know if a product exists to send HD over a single coax cable from a receiver to a TV?

Any format, as long as the signal can get to the TV at 1080i or 720p.

The situation is this:

The building already has a single high quality coax run to every TV and a few of the runs are sealed and would require opening up walls (not an option).

I can't logically think of a reason why a active balun doens't exist to compress component video to Coax, then back out to component again.

Component requires 6 conductors. Coax only has 2. A simple balun isn't going to solve that problem. Instead you'd need to modulate the Component into RF, then de-modulate back into Component on the other end (or if it used ATSC/8VSB modulation, then it could be "tuned" via the remote TV's ATSC tuner).

The only products I've seen that do this are expensive & designed for commercial applications, such as the "wall of HDTVs" you see in Best Buy or Circuit City. There was a recent thread here titled "ATSC Modulator?" that dicussed this topic.

It's possible there might have been something new introduced at CES last week to meet this need, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Actually, there was one company that announced a potentially nice solution at CES last week: http://www.pulselink.net

The good news - this is a cool-looking hybrid system that uses coax to distribute HD between rooms, and wireless to "beam" the signal from set-top to TV within a single room. The bad news: Pulselink just makes chipsets. Actual products based on their chipset are not here yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre /forum/post/0

Actually, there was one company that announced a potentially nice solution at CES last week: http://www.pulselink.net

The good news - this is a cool-looking hybrid system that uses coax to distribute HD between rooms, and wireless to "beam" the signal from set-top to TV within a single room. The bad news: Pulselink just makes chipsets. Actual products based on their chipset are not here yet.

This looks interesting, but their ad implies all new equipment with this technology builtin. Hopefully there would be provisions for an interface unit to enable use of all the existing, relatively new and expensive HD equipment out there.

·
Banned
2,646 Posts

Quote:

A BalUn is a balanced to unbalanced convertor ( a transformer) not a compression engine.

Component video already uses 75 Ohm coax, just like RF signals.

If there was an easy, inexpensive way to do this, there wouldn't be component connections on equipment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about something that can convert component to broadcast HD (like to channel whatever) so a over the air tuner can tune it in through the coax?

Not unlike the old way of sending you VCR to the upstairs TV on channel 4 through the rabbit ears.

I'm thinking any TV with a built in HD tuner could then tune to whatever channel and pick up the signal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the answer I'm looking for is no, unless I'm a transport engineer and want to build it myself.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck19111 /forum/post/0

So the answer I'm looking for is no, unless I'm a transport engineer and want to build it myself.

Actually, the answer is "Yes, but you'll pay through the nose for it."

The best bet I can think of is to use an A/D converter to convert the signal to HD-SDI and back again with a D/A at the other end. You'll be using the serial digital format that broadcast TV stations are currently switching to for in-house signal routing.

There are more severe length restrictions than other formats, and your coax might not be compatible, but it would work in most household situations.

The problem is that this is broadcast video gear and isn't anything close to cheap. I think you'd be looking at over $1,000 for a pair like that.

Have a look here for an example:
AJA HD10A

You could even run up to 8 channels of digital audio over the same cable. But, again, it'll cost ya'!

- LoopinFool

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's just frustrating that thick net is one of the most robust ways to send data around a building and that most every pre existing video network has some sort of single coax system already run.

I'm rewiring the fourth customer who juat paid thousands of dollars a few years ago to send video to severals TVs in his building, just because HD is the "in" thing.

I'm waiting for this type of system and a wireless type video network to hit the market, cheep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.