AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a home that was wired for some specific sort of whole home audio setup, but all the components were removed by the seller of the home. In each room where there are in-wall speakers there are 2 coax cables and 1 ethernet cable. Is there a specific type of system that uses this wiring setup? I have used the google and searched this forum without much luck. It is worth mentioning that in rooms where there was also a television there is a third coax cable which carries a video signal. The only type of control device left in the home are analog volume controls for the speakers.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Are you sure those cables are coax and not just loops of speaker wire? Where do they start/end? If they terminate at the same location as a TV, and they are coax, then they were likely source inputs in each room to feed back to a common amplifier.

Do all the speaker wires and cat5 come to the same central point? Did you look behind the volume controls to see what's wired there?

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I will provide the best possible description of the run of cables:

On the main floor in the great room area they had a TV over the fireplace - in this room there are 8 total speakers - a subwoofer, four speakers in the ceiling over the TV, 2 for the center channel and two side, and then there are 3 speakers in the ceiling in the rear of the room. In the box where the TV was are the following cables: 8 coax cables with RCA connectors on the end (positive they are coax as I unscrewed the RCA connector), two coax cables that had been cut - they were not stripped and did not have any sort of connector on the end, one coax which appeared to be the video feed connected to a typical coax single gang box, one cat5 cable which ended in a typical single-gang cat5 port, one cat5 cable which had 4 wires stripped and had obviously been connected to something (the other 4 wires did not appear to be connected to anything). These wires all went to a closet on the main floor, which also contained two coaxial cables and one cat5 cable for each room of the home where there was audio (kitchen, outside deck, garage, master bedroom and exercise room) in addition to runs of speaker wire for each given location. Also in this closet was a bundle of coax and cat5 that went downstairs to the utility closet. None of the coax or cat5 in this room were connected to anything, except one cat5 wire was stripped and connected to 4 different phone lines (2 cat5 wires connect to 2 phone cable wires with 4 port plastic connectors on each one). Some of the cat5 cables had been finished with male cat5 terminations, so I am guessing at some point of time they were connected to a router or some sort of other device. I did not pull any of the volume control boxes off the wall - I will be up there again tomorrow and was planning on doing so.

I will try to take a couple pictures as well, the description of wiring is difficult to understand I am sure - as I am not terribly familiar with wiring nomenclature.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Ok, that confirms what I thought - the coax runs (especially if thy've been terminated with RCA jacks) are for bringing audio from a zone to a central amp/controller. If I'm right, I'm surprised they did this for all of the zones (the outdoor ones in particular), but they were probably not all used.

Now the only question is where does that cat5 wire go in each zone? If it's run to the volume control location, you're golden. But even if not, you've got a lot of choices, and you can choose to use those coax runs for L/R analog audio or ignore them...

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts