AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/12958689

Yarp.

I'll be upgrading my BD player soon anyway, as I now have a 24p capable set, and I'm the rare few that actually goes through all those damn extras. Whatever that player will be, it'll also have analogue outputs, so I can hypothetically have the best of both worlds.

Ken, thanks for the advice - please don't misconstrue my point, I'm certainly not saying that the HK is the be-all and end-all, I'm simply concerned that spending another $2k-4k atop the pre/pro price won't be a significant enough jump from what I've already got, and I should instead hold onto the HK pending saving up for some more serious (read: pricey) amplification options.

I'm intrigued by the Class-D's from Rotel, but that's a whole 'nother bag of worms.

No problem, I am actually on the same boat as you a year ago. I purchased 2 amps (2 and 3 channel) from the second hand market. I then used my Pioneer as a pre / pro. This allowed me to gauge the amp section of the receiver while not losing any money (I could easily re-sell the amps at a similar price). The difference is very very apparent. The image of sound is much much clearer. In loud sections of movies, the amp will keep music in the background the dialogs and sound effect on top. In music, the seperation of instruments is night and day (maybe a bit exaggerated). Of course, your HK should beat the Pioneer in the amp section hands down. But I can swear by the magnitude of difference should give you a grind on your face. I got my final piece last month (Integra DTC-9.8), never looked back once.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Max, your advice is appreciated!

Ken, I'm actually in the same boat, but on the other side (under water? hrm...) Looking for pre/pro -first-, then amps second. Sad, but true...

So, feel free to gush to me about the 9.8, and how it's rocking out with your setup... The 9.8 is thread just too big to manage, and this from someone that actually has read the damn insider threads! (OT: pathetic and sad that it's closed, but it -does- free up my day a bit...heh)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max N /forum/post/12962269

Apologies for going off-topic slightly - I had a very early 561 (actually still have it, now in storage). I think I paid 2800 UK pounds for it back in the day. But I was single then, I could never justify or afford that now. It was a great sounding unit, but so is the NAD.

To the OP, reading the whole thread again I personally think that a separate processor feeding the amp section of your HK makes sense as part of a staged upgrade. But if you can borrow an Elite from your dealer to try, I guess that should be your first move. It would give you another data point to help you decide?

Thank you. I am now using the 568. Sounds great and wonder if an Integra DTC-9.8 will sound as good!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
credit card has been proffered, 9.8 is being picked up tomorrow, and will drive my HK for now...

Any suggestions what I should set the volume on the HK to (as above, it'll simply be used as a power amp, with 7 RCAs heading down from the 9.8)? I grant this is a weird stopgap to delve into this world of separates, but what the hell...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry I didn't have time to give you any input on the 9.8. Was busy on my work the past few days. Oh well, you still made the right decision anyways. I am enjoying mine every day since I got it. Just a small note, take your time on the calibration, do a few more positions. If you have a tripod, use it to mount the mic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like others have pointed out, you can always get a good deal on an amp, either used or new. I've got the Onkyo PRSC885P on order and I'm teaming it up with a new Atlantic Technology A2000 amp that a dealer has had in his stock for a long, long time. It's 7x120 watts and I picked it up for half price.

This will be my first time with separates and I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
...sitting here watching my first title, and it's on Laserdisc! (somebody page Zyber, he might enjoy that...
)

'Tis a doc on Elton and Bernie that's been on my shelf a few years. MUCH better pic just running svideo to the Onkyo, then the one cable to the Kuro - entirely not sure why that's the case, as I've got it set to passthrough, but for some reason it's worked out that way...

While it plays I'm just making all kinds of tweaks to make sure that things are setup correctly before running audessy...

Gotta say, as stupid as it is to comment (irony above notwithstanding) it's a pretty good looking piece of gear, much nicer than the photos belie.

It's been about 6 hours, and I'm already craving a dedicated amp. SICK, this goddamn hobby...

For now the HK is running at -10db with 7 RCAs running from the Onkyo. It's late, so hard to tell any magical difference with this inclusion, but the pile of cables that I was able to wrest from the back of my rack attest to this simpler setup (addional giant box notwithstanding).

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hey Shark, I'm also in the Toronto area and looking for a store that carries these. Where did you buy it?

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Congratulations! I was going to say that pulling the trigger on the 9.8 is a pretty low risk move at the moment. With new units still in short supply, moving a 9.8 on Audiogon would be pretty easy I would expect.

You could still borrow the Pioneer from the dealer to compare it against the 9.8... and then tell us all about it.
If nothing else it would remove that "Should I have gone the other way?" doubt. I'm mostly kidding, but of course if you're inclined...

Congrats again; please share your thoughts as you refine your set up and get some listening time in.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
KBH,

I -tried- to get it from the great guys at Canadian Sound, but they weren't able to pull one in for me (they don't carry Integra, alas).

I then stumbled across the also nice people at Sound Design in the Distillery (a far easier drive to be sure for this Riverdale boy!), but they weren't able to get me in one in any guaranteed amount of time, alas.

Apparently, they're all sitting at Audio Empire, the most deleriously offbeat store I've ever been to, located in the dodgiest area (Albion and Islington?!) and with the caricatured versions of perfect audio geek staff, complete with labcoat!!!

Give them a call, let them know Jason sent you (and they already know that Steve on AVS sent ME to them!)
- 416-745-6866

Not sure they have any more left, but give them a shout and they'll help you out.

Best of luck everyone!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ok, consider this more to help grow this entirely indulgent thread...

Some additional earlier impressions, certainly no doubt echoed by many in the ginormous other thread.

First of all, I'm loving the Integra. It's a fairly straightforward setup, I'm really enjoying the warm sound its sending out. I'm not bothering with an A/B with analogues out from my two players (neither of which can bitstream TrueHD or DTS-MA) but the sound is certainly wonderfully rich and moving. Again I was listening to some of my vinyl - this may not be up to par with other, much higher priced 2ch pre/pros but it's a humungous step from the phono preamp I previous had rigged to my HK.

Audessy was fairly painless to run, the mike and cord certainly looks like it'll break after a couple tries, but things worked out OK so far. I re-read the section in the manual where it showed the locations that one should do for the 6 tests, and I'll be doing that tomorrow (just did a quickie 3 zone test to see if it made a change). One thing of note, it's showing my sub as a good 8 feet further away than it actually is. Mind you, it's tucked into a closet and fires across the listening room from right to left. Yeah, it's a wacky placement, but it's been OK so far, particularly as I've had it basically for room shaking given the excellent front bass extension I get with my Deftechs. Hell, in this tiny room I've got 5 speakers with sub fighting against my Velodyne. Methinks many of you would shudder, but as with most things in this hobby, you make due with what you've got.

There's only one annoyance that I'd characterize as major, and that's the fact that the setup screen basically takes over the entire unit. This makes it far harder to tweak things while playback is going on, excepting the a/v sync delay. Luckily with this setting playback can contine, unluckily it times out fairly quickly and you have to once again delve into the OSD screen. As I was watching Lost off my PVR with quite a bit of lag (the default of 42ms seems way over the top, and 0 was just slightly off) I settled on 4ms for now. I had to sorta juggle back and forth between two options to keep the setting "alive" while I was tweaking, and this is obviously a dumb way for them to have gone about it.

Spending some time tonight figuring one which of my DVD-A discs are mislabeled - Yes' Fragile, for example, turns out to have "only" 96khz stereo. Also reconfirmed that over HDMI my BD10 will only spit out downconverted 5.1 if set to bitstream in the setup menu (counterintuitive to be sure). Setting to PCM shows everything back to golden.

I really like the ability to set default performance for each and every surround/audio mode on each and every input. It's a bunch of work to get it right, but it's the kind of pro-level tweaking that I bought the thing in the first place for!

While I'll be using my Nevo long term, the remote's actually fairly decent for getting around this stuff. The unit basically hasn't been off for most of today, and while it's warm, it's not scorching, sitting on my Salamander stand with about 4 inches atop before the next shelf, and air on all four sides.

Oh, and when it changes surround modes it does more of a "clunk" than a "click" as per the HK.

Speaking of HK, I've set it to -15db with all channels levels set to 0db adjustment from norm, and it seems to be doing the trick without any additional hiss or strain on the system. I've only drooled over amp specs a couple times in the last hour, so as of now I'm still holding out.

Finally, I blame Dennis for this madness... Well, that and the fact that Integra has made a unit that has finally found this kind of performance in a price range that's higher than I can afford, but cheap enough that I bought it anyway.

Oh, and all my friends think I'm totally nuts as I try to explain the concept of preamp to them... "It's like when you keep buying CPUs but you use the same monitor for many years..."

·
Registered
437 Posts
hello,

I am trying to pick a good pre for my TAG amp. Prices here are much different then the US. I have the following choices:

1- Pio 94LX using pre out to my amps. (1595$)

2- Onkyo 805 using pre out to my amps (1500$)

3- Import integra 9.8 from US (2100$)

I guess typing street prices much higher then MSRP is not agasint forum rules

Anyone here compared the integra to these 2 other models using there pre out can help me out. There is no way for me to audition any of them.

Tkx, Sam.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
...it's somewhat depressing to me that "en France" pricing is the same as here in Canada. I blame Canada (oh, wait, that's an Oscar nominated song...)

I can't speak to any of this, of course, but for what it's worth the Secrets review directly compared the 805 to the 9.8 and suggested it really was worth the upgrade. For me I just decided what the hell, just get a pre/pro that's designed to -be- a pre/pro to build my system around.

In my readings I've also found that the Audessy is superior according to some to the room correction software used by the Elite unit.

Good luck, I'm jealous of your ability to grab fine pastries at any time. If you happen to live anywhere near Aix-en-Pce, go to Bugsy and have a warm biere citron for me, please...

·
Registered
46 Posts
shark, I am near Edmonton. Moving into a new home in 2 weeks with the following setup:

Anthem A5

Paradigm Sig S6 /C3 / ADP3 / SIg Servo

Panny PTAE1000

What do you think about addin the Integra to this setup ?

I want good video switching upscaling etc.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
If your room is a dedicated one, separates all the way. Family room...receiver.

·
Registered
93 Posts
shark, my auto calibration shows my sub is a 5~6 feet more, but when playing movie, the sub is aligned properly with the main speakers. You may want to play a drum CD and check the phase alignment.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
holy crap, thebland even showed up in this thread!

helgo, you might want to (re)read my post above, I know -nothing-...

Seriously, though, I'm so far as impressed as everyone with the unit, but I've hardly put its through its paces. Given that you already have the A5, why the hell not?

Switching is painless and quick, scaling I can't speak to as I've got it running in passthrough all the way (my Kuro does a fine job scaling by itself)

As above, the only thing that the pictures don't show is that it's actually quite a nice looking unit when stuck in the rack (euphemism alert!), and the menus are somewhere around Amiga-level graphics, not quite C64 (or IBM XT of my HK), not quite PS3 of some of the other models.

For sound? It sure sounds purdy to me!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts