AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Major annoyance with an oversight re: Audessy. I did the whole 30 minute testing thing, 6 spots, got a much more accurate read on sub location, went to click save and accidentally clicked up when pushing the button in. This selected cancel, which does -not- bring up the now ubiquitous "are you sure?" screen to avoid such things.

I simply got a "uplug mic now" message, and was forced to redo the whole thing. A simple fix, of course, but a seriously annoying thing that should have been spotted by somebody.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo /forum/post/13011131

well, i can't find the Integra anywhere online, but i can gt the 885 online. any reason not to get the 885 ?

Are you trying to find the Integra website or looking to buy an Integra online? Integra will not sell through online dealers.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/12952156

should I instead be looking at the Elite 94 instead, waiting to dive into separates at a later time?

No, I think separates are better for a number of reasons, period! Separates provide more versatility- you can select from a vast array of brands of amplifiers (size, power, channels, etc.,...). Once you have a good amp and speakers your set. You can always change pre-pro's (for new codec's/features, etc.,...).

BTW, I don't know why you're so hung-up about [not] having a fan inside an amp, the new-generation NAD's have very nicely designed "variable speed fan" technology.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
...went with the intregra, as you no doubt saw.

as for fan noise, I guess we all have our quirks, but I find that fan noise (even optimized fans that only come on during loud periods) are a big irritation. I actually had purchased the HK AVR525 and had it about a week before I bit the bullet, doubled my budget and bought the then-flagship 7200.

My A1 is noisy, my BD10 less so, and the PVR has its own noise signature with its HD (let alone my plasma, with its mild "buzzing") Still, when I want to listen to music, especially at quiet volume, and especially with a small-ish room, I need fanless.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/13013003

No, I think separates are better for a number of reasons, period! Separates provide more versatility- you can select from a vast array of brands of amplifiers (size, power, channels, etc.,...). Once you have a good amp and speakers your set. You can always change pre-pro's (for new codec's/features, etc.,...).

BTW, I don't know why you're so hung-up about [not] having a fan inside an amp, the new-generation NAD's have very nicely designed "variable speed fan" technology.

Westcoast,

I don't like fans ether. A fan will fail and they suck in dust.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/13011874

Are you trying to find the Integra website or looking to buy an Integra online? Integra will not sell through online dealers.

either, I found out they're not online, like you said.

I am in ALberta and I did find one lone Integra dealder for the whole province, will call tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
sorry kids, more handholding required... I blame all those that led me to separates in the first place!

so, the grand plan was to pickup a $2-3000 amp sometime in the next 6 mos to replace my HK7200 being used strictly for amplification. I've found a very reasonably priced (about half off what my dealer can get for me) used Arcam Diva P1000. There's a large thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=p1000 ) on the pre/pro combination, with little tidbits, but I'm curious if this is really such a big step up from what I've already got with the HK. I grant you that THD specs and all that jazz can be bandied about, but I'm looking for nothing more or less than a fanless, decent sounding amp that will play nice with the Integra and drive comfortably my Deftech setup. Any thoughts, asap, would be much appreciated....

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_sai69 /forum/post/13061235

Maybe you can also give the ICEpower amps a look

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855660

http://www.wyred4sound.com/ICE_CUBE_...TICHANNEL.html
http://www.d-sonic.net/

The only problem with the equipment mentioned is that they only come with a 3 year warranty and one still is using drawings instead of pictures of their equipment. Check out the Rotel ice. Looks like Rotel will give you a 5 year warranty. I think it is a flaw not giving a buyer a minimum of 5 years on a quality amp. Then it is just VANILLAice...sorry, just been dieing to say that
. But joking aside, also check out the new digital amp from Axiom. Hopefully that Rotel has gone 5 years the others will follow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean B&W. When you spend 2~3k on an amplifier, the last thing you wanna see on the webpage is some CAD drawing. In the thread I attached, there are some customers posting their purchase. Make no mistake, Wyred4sound will definitely have the better build quality. In exchange for about 20% more in the price tag. The good thing tho, ICE module is standalone, and all the manufacture provides are the connections and the case.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_sai69 /forum/post/13063739

Yeah, I know what you mean B&W. When you spend 2~3k on an amplifier, the last thing you wanna see on the webpage is some CAD drawing. In the thread I attached, there are some customers posting their purchase. Make no mistake, Wyred4sound will definitely have the better build quality. In exchange for about 20% more in the price tag. The good thing tho, ICE module is standalone, and all the manufacture provides are the connections and the case.

Still, dont you think they should offer a minimum 5 year warranty on a quality amp. Some in that price range will give 10 or 20 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you given a look to Emotiva for amps? They are very reasonably priced, excellent customer service. I don't have one, but the folks that do, love them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
^^ What I was thinking is that the 3 year is what B&O provide them and they just transfer it to their customer (i.e. they will not lose money on warranty)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_sai69 /forum/post/13064578

^^ What I was thinking is that the 3 year is what B&O provide them and they just transfer it to their customer (i.e. they will not lose money on warranty)

My concern is that it will have a higher failure rate then amps with a 5, 10 or 20 year warranty. A three year investment on an amp is a big issue with me. B&O then should step up to the plate and give 5 years. When you get to that price tag on this technology for amps you need more of a warranty, like you said "they will not lose money on warranty" you may be the one losing.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamF16 /forum/post/13063874

Have you given a look to Emotiva for amps? They are very reasonably priced, excellent customer service. I don't have one, but the folks that do, love them.

Hello:

I have an Emotiva amp (MPS-1). I am very happy with it. It is rather reasonably priced as well. You can choose how many modules to buy for it (2-7).

One warning...fully loaded it's about 125 lbs.

Splotto

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
...hrm, I just hate the idea of fans, call me old fashioned... The class-D amps are intriguing to be sure, and certainly take up less room!

I think I'm passing on the Arcam, despite being an amazing deal. Will save up for the NAD (with fans, but aparently damn silent ones that monitor output), the Rotel, Adcom, Bryston.... crap, this is an expensive hobby.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/13065042

...hrm, I just hate the idea of fans, call me old fashioned... The class-D amps are intriguing to be sure, and certainly take up less room!

I think I'm passing on the Arcam, despite being an amazing deal. Will save up for the NAD (with fans, but aparently damn silent ones that monitor output), the Rotel, Adcom, Bryston.... crap, this is an expensive hobby.

Check out Zissou's amp summary in his pre/pro thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2852

41 - 60 of 63 Posts