AVS Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
You could always go with a stack of used pro amps off ebay. For fanless try a JBL 6260, usually around $200 each. A very conservative 150W/channel into 8ohms or even try bridging it for OMG levels of power if you have the room for 7 of them
. I went with the fanned older brother the 6290 and modded them with my own version of cooling, ie thermostatically controlled ultra quiet ultra high quality Papst fans. I ended up with a pair of mine setup as bridged mono blocks driving my main speakers and man they sound good and will blow down the walls too. Hell, at used priices, you can afford to keep on adding more and more of them and bridged mono block configuration you will blow away many of the boutique amps costing much more dineros. Sometimes you can even get lucky as I did. I found a local pro shop upgrading and walked out of there with 4 of the 6290's for $50 each. They would have sold me a pile of 6260's for the same price but I have really big speakers so the 6290's seemed the way for me and it was a good choice, well after my fan mods anyways.

Just another angle from a very satisfied seperates owner. BTW you will not be dissapointed at all with the sound quality of the JBL amps. They are top notch which the specs show which in this case are very believable and even on the conservative side. The tradeoff truly is the space required to keep them all in a multichannel configuration. I ended up buying a computer server rack to hold my rack mountable gear and the amps are on that thing.

Whichever way you go...welcome to the club. As you say it's a bit of an indulgence, but hey you only live once eh. Might as well do it right.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
"ugly" indeed, but I commend the hackery involved in monoblocking a 7ch system...

If I had the room, my friend, it'd be an option...

And, yeah, you only live once! (sorry to our Buddhist friends, although I'm not sure that they'd be as concerned about accumulation and amplification as we are...
)

61 - 63 of 63 Posts