AVS Forum banner

Expectations for Kill Bill after GONY

  • Definite improvements over R1 dvd

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will suffer same EE as dvd, as Gangs did

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because the Kill Bill & Gangs/NY transfers were so similar in their standard counterparts, anyone else dreading that Disney will pass of the same EE garbage for the Kill Bill films that affected Gangs.....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
I think that all of their future catalogues will look like GONY. I mean look at the stuff that they've released before that...The Rock, Pearl Harbor, Narnia, POTC 1/2.


yeah I'm sure it's not an isolated incident and the trend will continue.


It's not like GONY hasn't looked that bad before.



Why don't we wait for Sept. There will probably be some EE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,818 Posts
Haha funny poll! How about the third option everyone really wants, "same EE but the colors will look better than DVD so I'm buying!"



The Kill Bill DVDs looked bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,498 Posts
If you've seen any of the HDTV broadcasts you'd know there isn't anything to worry about...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/14226694


If you've seen any of the HDTV broadcasts you'd know there isn't anything to worry about...

I thought BBC HD's broadcasts of Kill Bill 1&2 were a little disappointing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,233 Posts
Both Kill Bills went thru DIs and don't have the same EE and DNR problems Gangs has. Of course Disney could always add that in as a bonus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/14226997


Both Kill Bills went thru DIs and don't have the same EE and DNR problems Gangs has.

I guess you didn't watch the same Kill Bill DVDs that I did. The Kill Bill DVDs suffered the same problems as Gangs of New York, Cold Mountain, Curse of the Black Pearl, and countless other Disney live action DVDs from that time period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
Gangs of New York (from the pics I've seen) is one of the rare instances where I believe a person should have the right to return a movie for a refund... Not trying to get into an ethical debate at all... just saying, it looks very bad. Here's hoping it's not a trend... but I agree with Josh that some of those DVDs from that time period looked bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14227228


I guess you didn't watch the same Kill Bill DVDs that I did. The Kill Bill DVDs suffered the same problems as Gangs of New York, Cold Mountain, Curse of the Black Pearl, and countless other Disney live action DVDs from that time period.

Those are the lousy SD downconversions which are filtered, EEed, and pretty much FUBAR. I was referring to the HD versions of Kill Bill 1 & 2 which have been shown in various OAR, open matte, mpeg-2, and h.264 incarnations on broadcast HD channels:



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan /forum/post/14226381


Haha funny poll! How about the third option everyone really wants, "same EE but the colors will look better than DVD so I'm buying!"



The Kill Bill DVDs looked bad?

Exactly, it could have EE and still be an improvement over the DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/14227458


Those are the lousy SD downconversions which are filtered, EEed, and pretty much FUBAR. I was referring to the HD versions of Kill Bill 1 & 2 which have been shown in various OAR, open matte, mpeg-2, and h.264 incarnations on broadcast HD channels:

You assume that the DVD comes from the same master as those broadcasts and that the extra processing was applied afterwards. I doubt that's the case. There are most likely different HD masters in circulation.


Whether Disney will have the sense to track down the good master for the Blu-ray or just recycle their DVD master is anyone's guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,811 Posts
I have these two films recorded on HD DVHS. They both look very good with just a tiny bit of EE on my 45x108 screen with a 10ft viewing distance. I will be SHOCKED if the don't look really good on Blu-Ray. I was able two get them preordered on Amazon for $37.99 so a purchase is a no brainer for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
Eh, people get all dramatic about EE....nobody outside of these forums knows anything about it. Your voice is small and always will be.


I'll be buying both these movies come release regardless.


Why? Hmmm....I don't know, they're good movies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/14226997


Both Kill Bills went thru DIs and don't have the same EE and DNR problems Gangs has. Of course Disney could always add that in as a bonus.

The 35mm prints I saw had DNR artiffacts. Not a lot but some. The HD might have too, or not. We'll have to wait and see.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top