AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in this hobby in seince 2004 and I have to say there is a LOT of nonsense and outright expensive bullcrap in this "hobby"

The first thing I want to talk about is Those "cable lifters"

I cant beleive someonw iwill pay $100.00 each for a set of little stones or wooden thingis to sit audio cables on. because they perceive a barely noticible difference in sound that's basicvly nothing but overhyped bullcrap!

Monster cable-Anyone who pays big $ for a roll of puple insulated copper wire with a fancy dancy enc connector is either an idiot or worse,has so much money he has nothing good to spend it on.

Professional cable Burn-In services- I saw this in stereophile and I was like WTF? I have to pay $$$$ for some guty to hook up a cable to some machine with outlets that put high levels of juice into my RCA and speaker cables?

Brand name bashing and loyalty.- some audiphiles refuse to buy anything considred lower end than thier overated gear because they are afraid it may equal the sound of the $$$$ unit they payed for or, be inferior in sound without givig it a try! dont get me started on brand bashing..

Brands bashed: Bose,KLH,Klipsch,Bose,Behrenger,Sony and soundesign.

I have to admit soundesign wasnt/Isn't all that bad yes they were cheap but if you used a better set of speakers than what those rack stereo's came with you can really see what decent sound those plastic face-MDF cabinet ,flea watt receivers can put out if one rids themselves of those awful hollow speakers.

I dont really understand why peple say sony makes awful spekers. thier towers sound like pretty ordinary floorstanders to me. I dont like the yellow color of the cones though.

Almost imperceivable differences between $$$ speakers that dont matter which make people WANT to justify paying $100.00 more for a speaker jus because the other speaker makes a certain instrument drift more in the room.

Bookshelf speakers- Almost all the comments about bookshelf speakers are tha they sound small,harsh,look like sh** (some do) and are bass shy. I have listen to and own pair of bookshelf speakers that are definitely not bass shy at 30 or so HZ because thy can adiquately reproduce those 30Hz sine waves heard in hip-hop and rap music without rolling it off.

Rocks- i am serious people will Pay$$$ for ROCKS!
to put under the corners of thier gear because they perceive a difference that probably was in thier head the whole time.

Cabinets- I keep hearing people say "ported" cabinets make for "colored speakers" and I have to say ALL speakers have some coloration to them and I really dont want speakers that are completely color less as some audiphiles want them.

I like you to know tha the music is coming from the SPEAKERS not some invisible source.

Audiophile gear- peole alway say how wonderful a BRAND NEW stack of silver $$$$ gear snd speakers sound but to me they sound so, dry and shallow to me. I prefer Mid-level older gear myself to newer gear most newer gear has no A** in the amplifier section. Most older receivers tend to "bring out the woofer" " while most modern gear makes inferior modern tower speakers sound somewhat bass shy!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
wow. go on, tell us how you really feel...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Raymond. What is it like to be in your head? It sounds like a very frustrating and confusing place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoney99 /forum/post/12902257

what a rant!!! What fueled it? Grey Goose? Ommegang? Makers Mark? Do tell, I want some of whatever you had!

You think he's old enough?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I know how you feel, but you just have to learn to laugh at them. Because no matter how you try to prove it or how much you argue, they can hear the difference.

You really want to make you blood boil, visit the Audioasylum , specially the Tweaks and Cables boards.

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
LOL!! Funny stuff but sadly all true for the most part...it's amazing the crap people will buy/buy into...seems audiophiles can be one of the worst offenders for believing the voodoo stuff...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Wow, I don't think I have ever heard someone argue that better speakers are not worth it. Or that the differences in speakers were almost imperceivable.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Ok, your first three items certainly rang true about some members of the "audiophile" crowd, but after that you completely went off the deep end.

I suggest less Wild Turkey before posting!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
And we haven't even seen machinaDynamica (those rocks aren't the BP s) mentioned yet... maybe his head will explode

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My favorite part was the "I dont like the yellow color of the cones though." Amid the flurry of pronouncements, that's something I think we can all come to terms on.

... and yea, I agree with alot of what was said, but step away from the Wild Turkey next time. Whoa.

Tim

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut /forum/post/12905732

My favorite part was the "I dont like the yellow color of the cones though." Amid the flurry of pronouncements, that's something I think we can all come to terms on.

... and yea, I agree with alot of what was said, but step away from the Wild Turkey next time. Whoa.

Tim

That's why they invented "Black Spray Paint"

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
That depends, of course, on whether you like how Black Spray Paint 'colors' the sound. I prefer Green Spray Paint, for the increased midrange clarity it brings out.

Certainly you're also aware of how Green's properties have a similar positive effect when applied to the edge of a CD by my soon to be marketed green Sharpie, .... errr, uh... Acoustic Pen. Yea, Acoustic Pen.

For a mere $159.99 the Acoustic Pen will add more midrange clarity to your CD's than a box full of Ecuadoran tweeters..... You ARE aware of how Ecuadoran geothermal activity inherently yields empirically better tweeters, right?

Tim

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
With all due respect Raymond, SoundDesign still sucks more than a hooker on amphetamines.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut /forum/post/12906502

That depends, of course, on whether you like how Black Spray Paint 'colors' the sound. I prefer Green Spray Paint, for the increased midrange clarity it brings out.

Certainly you're also aware of how Green's properties have a similar positive effect when applied to the edge of a CD by my soon to be marketed green Sharpie, .... errr, uh... Acoustic Pen. Yea, Acoustic Pen.

For a mere $159.99 the Acoustic Pen will add more midrange clarity to your CD's than a box full of Ecuadoran tweeters..... You ARE aware of how Ecuadoran geothermal activity inherently yields empirically better tweeters, right?

Tim

I wonder if the Pen takes away the DRC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/12903869

And we haven't even seen machinaDynamica (those rocks aren't the BP s) mentioned yet... maybe his head will explode

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12903706

Ok, your first three items certainly rang true about some members of the "audiophile" crowd, but after that you completely went off the deep end.

I suggest less Wild Turkey before posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/12902987

Wow, I don't think I have ever heard someone argue that better speakers are not worth it. Or that the differences in speakers were almost imperceivable.

I meant certain small differences between 2 similar sounding speakers despite the one with the minute difference is $100.00 costlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway /forum/post/12902967

LOL!! Funny stuff but sadly all true for the most part...it's amazing the crap people will buy/buy into...seems audiophiles can be one of the worst offenders for believing the voodoo stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/12908172

With all due respect Raymond, SoundDesign still sucks more than a hooker on amphetamines.

Is this a clean hooker?

I wouldnt say the Elusive soundesign TX series sucks though. It may not be high end but there were and are worse offenders (electrobrand) half of electrobrand's modern gear is a an empty $5.00 transistor radio in a big stereo case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Some valid points but not sure I can agree with not bashing Bose. Come on! Don't take away all of my fun.
I do doubt a bit that your bookshelf speakers goes down to 30Hz with any sort of volume or accuracy. That aside, I'll share with you guys what an "audiophile" I spoke with many years ago said that put things into perspective.

This guy was well known in another forum that was dominated by hardcore audiophiles. These are people who spent most of their time discussing ribbon speakers and vaccuum tube amps and sneered (well a few did) at multi-channel sound. Well, a bunch of us got on this guys case because he posted that he just spent $8000+ on new speaker cables. I mean these things were pure silver terminated with 18K gold connectors assembled and sealed in an oxygen free environment. All the pokes were in good humor and he took it in stride. At the end he simply said that he spent an extra $100k building a music listening room when he remodeled his house, another $250k on audio equipment, over $150k on ribbon speakers (not counting maintenance), and who knows how much time to fiddle with everything. In that scale, $8k was a drop in the bucket well worth it for his own satisfaction.

From this, I took away the attitude of "don't listen to anyone else as long as you like how it sounds then its good." I helped a friend pick out speakers once and he kept asking me how I thought it sounded. After I showed him some of the things to look/listen for, I had to literally leave the room until he decided because I didn't want him to depend on my opinion for something he had to live with. Now if someone came to me and asked what I thought of Bose and Sony, I'd tell them I personally don't think they are worth the money and that their price is driven mostly by marketing. I would point them to others like Klipsch or Fluence for a better value. Not sure if this would be considered bashing but it is my honest opinion. Heck, I owned a set of JBL speakers in the Dolby ProLogic days that I think sounded great for what I paid for them. Now, I'm sure I'd get tons of people who disagree with that opinion but they weren't the ones sitting on my couch.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I actually heard a demonstration of the green pen in an audio shop years ago, and you know what? It worked! The mind is a truly weird place.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
And how about those Ecuadoran tweeters?

Tim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oval - Ralwolf: can you post a link to those "Ecuadoran tweeters" without being banned? I'm already bored with audiophile tweaks BS.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts