AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Sony FDRAX100 camcorder and was shocked to see that a replacement NPFV50 battery would cost over £70.Is there a good alternative that will have similar performance?Is there something special (apart from the price)with a Sony battery?

·
Registered
533 Posts
This trick is becoming more common. Panasonic have practiced this for some time. To quote numbers for clarity, the 180/360 batteries, suitable for my three year old HC-V700 camcorder, were available from third parties for around £25 for the larger 360. The 190/380 batteries for my more recent camera the HC-V750 are not produced by third parties yet but Panasonic replacements can be got for £59 (190) and £81 (380) from Amazon.

Seems Sony are on the same game.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This trick is becoming more common. Panasonic have practiced this for some time. To quote numbers for clarity, the 180/360 batteries, suitable for my three year old HC-V700 camcorder, were available from third parties for around £25 for the larger 360. The 190/380 batteries for my more recent camera the HC-V750 are not produced by third parties yet but Panasonic replacements can be got for £59 (190) and £81 (380) from Amazon.

Seems Sony are on the same game.
Are these 3rd party batteries any good?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Are these 3rd party batteries any good?
In my case Yes. I bought from Digitalmediastore where the VW-VBK 360 (NOT 380) is still 25.99. Unfortunately they only work for the 700 and NOT the 720 - 750 etc. The battery is as good as its description and has a double life compared to the Panasonic 180. (supplied with the camera.)

The Panasonic cameras charge at 5V and use a charging cord with a USB plug on one end. This means that you can charge or run the camera from a USB charger OR one of these phone chargers which use a battery (again see Amazon), a number of 750 users are running their cameras from these charger packs. Does this apply to the Sony?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Sony FDRAX100 camcorder and was shocked to see that a replacement NPFV50 battery would cost over £70.
Yes, they're not cheap.

The cost of a replacement NP-FV70 (the one that comes with the camera) is £69, and a NP-FV100 is £99 from the UK Sony store.

Amazon are a pound or two cheaper

I tend to use a NP-FV100 because of the extended shooting life.

Is there a good alternative that will have similar performance?
No alternative batteries are quite as good as Sony ones in terms of performance, but some are quite acceptable.

Alternatives to the NP-FV70 that I've tried are from:
  • Jupio (£25), and
  • Duracell (£33)

Alternatives to the NP-FV100 that I've tried are from:
  • Wasabi (comes as a 2-battery pack with charger)

You may find them adequate for your needs, although they don't have the same capacity as the Sony ones.

Is there something special (apart from the price)with a Sony battery?
Yes, they're hand-crafted by elves and delivered on the backs of golden unicorns. (Or at least that's the only explanation I can come up with for Sony pricing.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts