AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm catching quite a bit of flak for dropping 7,500 smokes on a Toshiba LCoS, but have a pretty interesting response to the criticism.

Having a 57" 1080p HDTV would be comparable to having a very expensive pair of glasses that would hypothetically give you a better view of the world. How can you put a value on 'perfect vision', anyway?

My theory, also, is viewing quality over quantity:

Make the most of the time you have to spend, instead of more time of viewing less.

Sawyer

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The pre-supposition here is the same one you've made all along: That someone this thing is better than everything else by some measurable amount. I believe you primarily base this on its resolution.

I continue to believe that the product will be excellent, but not objectively superior to all other televisions and not particularly special because of its resolution given the current sources available and those likely in the next 2-3 years.

Mark

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are exactly correct sir.

I am basing these decisions on the resolution and what those privileged enough to see it in person are saying, including yourself.

The only way to make what I'm doing possible is Tweeter's 30 day return plan. An HDTV can look either great or bland on display, but you'll never know how it will perform under scrutiny until it is in your home with your home lighting and viewing distance and how compatible it will be with incoming signals.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Well, that's very close to the amount of smokes I dropped on my 64-inch Philips RPTV, plus shipping, 28 months back. Don't regret it, and still marvel at the video quality.

It's an interesting exercise trying to pin down what broadcasters are piping out in actual HDTV resolutions. As larger-screen true-1080X1920 sets enter the market, seems to me that will introduce a new complication in 'seeing' HDTV. For example, will typical 1080i programs with 'moderate' or low horizontal resolution look better scaled up to fill all the Toshiba LCOS's 1920 pixels, or look better on the many current LCD/DLP/CRT displays with only moderate built-in resolution? -- John

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
[OT] Sawyer, John Mason: I can't resist noting that you both seem to be saying you're smokers... and asking that you kindly to do yourselves a favor and actually give up that many smokes. (Sorry if this strikes anyone as an intolerant rant, but my mother's smoking habit killed her. I also apologize for wandering off-topic.)

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks, Syzygy. Not for about 30 years here, and agree such cautions are appropriate whenever they can be made. -- John

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, Syzygy, I don't smoke either. (Just pot. And, I try to keep it less than a brick a week)

But if I did smoke, think how many cigarettes I could have bought with $7500.00

But back to the subject at hand, that begs the question: think how much anything you could buy with $7500.00, and the 'opportunity cost' that plays into this financial decision making. Thus the dilemma....

Sawyer

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have never smoked and never will. But with all the taxes and such, seems like $7500 wouldn't even buy that much these days.

Back to the topic at hand, it is crystal clear -- no pun intended -- John that much HD these days is really only moderately high definition (to me at least). I do agree with you that it will interesting to see what happens when these 2 megapixel TVs (like the Tosh) upscale those moderately high res broadcasts.

I would personally doubt it's going to look all that great without an external processor. I don't see any current TVs that do wonderful things upscaling lower resolution content with their internal scalers. In fact, they often look worse. I prefer standard definition content on the 480-line Panasonic plasma to the 768-line one, for example. I have yet to see a single HD RPTV that looks truly great upscaling NTSC (I realize there is more to it than scaling).

I would be delighted to see any 2 megapixel TV that can use the extra pixels to make prettier pictures when the source is lower resolution, it would just surprise me a lot to see it happen without a processor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.