AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The network connection on my 5040 stopped working recently - I suspect due to a power surge through my LAN. Initially, I hoped to replace the NIC myself; after opening the box, I soon found there's no NIC, the network is supported by proprietary circuitry on the motherboard (should've learned this via the Internet!). I took the opportunity to vacuum clean the very dusty innards. But, I suddenly became very fearful of DNNAs willingness to work on an unsealed box - though it was long past warranty.

Short story - I called ReplayTV Support, went through one fairly painless telephone debug sessions, received an RMA, got billed $79 on the credit card, shipped the RTV to Texas, and got it back within about 7 days. Works like a charm, like its old self. Overall, a pleasant experience. :)

Note - they did reinitialize the drive, so I lost everything that was on the box - no prob for me, but something to be aware of.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Glad you had a good experience. Are you sure you didn't get a refurb back rather than your original?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I returned 4 units after a lightning strike. Three units have come back to me. Two were the original units (same serial number and tags, my scratches, etc) and came in plain brown boxes with black packing foam. The third came in a "Refurbished" box with new serial number and had white packing foam. The two same units only lost the network adapter (booted fine, would modem update without problem). The replaced unit was a total fry-up: would only light the blue light and turned off only when unplugged.

I surmise that DNNA knows how to replace the blown NIC chip and does the chip replacement but for more serious trouble, ships out a refurb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.