AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not interested in XRGB, DVDO, or whatever other box takes RGB signals and upscales them with little modification to a digital format.
I am not interested in boxes like the Nextvision that take multiple input types like composite, s-video, component, etc and upscale them.

I am interested in boxes whose sole purpose is to take composite and s-video signals and convert them to a digital format which includes upscaling to 480p (non-wide) at least, if not greater resolutions. I know some boxes convert to PC resolutions too like, XGA, VGA, SXGA, UXGA, etc which is great since I know quality sometimes depends on output rez.

These are things like the Atlona AT-HD520 and even cheap boxes like the Mini AV2HDMI (except it doesn't have s-video input). So the whole gamut of price range is open. I want to hear any experience especially those regarding scaling older consoles such as Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, etc.

What I want to find is the box that least changes the incoming s-video or composite signal while scaling it, all while doing this with imperceptible lag or ghosting for viewing on a modern LCD / LED screen up to 32 inches.

If you have pictures of your results, I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Why ? Any problems with RGB in general ?

Your main problem will be that most (if not all) of these boxes don't recognize the 240p signal you're feeding them. Thus they will try to deinterlace the signal, destroying 60Hz effects (like flickering shadows) and causing artefacts by doing so.

When I google for Atlona AT-HD520 I see prices of $240 and up. For this price you can get any decent video processor. Buy an iScan HD+, a VP30 or even a 2nd hand Edge. They take all the signals you want to use and properly convert them to HDMI in 1080p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why ? Any problems with RGB in general ?

Your main problem will be that most (if not all) of these boxes don't recognize the 240p signal you're feeding them. Thus they will try to deinterlace the signal, destroying 60Hz effects (like flickering shadows) and causing artefacts by doing so.

When I google for Atlona AT-HD520 I see prices of $240 and up. For this price you can get any decent video processor. Buy an iScan HD+, a VP30 or even a 2nd hand Edge. They take all the signals you want to use and properly convert them to HDMI in 1080p.
While I completely understand your concern, I asked that the thread not be filled with people advising me to do differently. I have my reasons. I am looking for experiences with these sole composite to s-video scalars, leaving monetary value out of the evaluation.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You won't find any good experiences, since none of the boxes recognize the progressive nature of your signals - easy as that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won't find any good experiences, since none of the boxes recognize the progressive nature of your signals - easy as that.
Thank you, but I am looking for personal experiences. I did say I wanted upscaling standard composite and s-video signals to something like 480p or PC resolutions like XGA. The incoming signals are not progressive, but interlaced.

I do not need an XRGB, RGB switch box, RGB cables for each console. I have that setup already.

This is for simple plug and play setup on any monitor. We all know that the fuzzy composite or even component analog signal is still going to be fuzzy. I am looking for the converter that when placed side by side with the same signal going to a standard definition TV, looks exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The incoming signals are not progressive, but interlaced.
why would the signals be interlaced ?

All the systems you mentioned generally output in low-res progressive. There are less than a handful of games that output in 480i on a SNES or Genesis. A few more on the N64 and the PS1, but the huge majority of games on these still were 240p and not 480i.

This is for simple plug and play setup on any monitor. We all know that the fuzzy composite or even component analog signal is still going to be fuzzy
to a certain degree, yes, although I don't agree for component signals. With proper processing component is anywhere as good as a native digital signal.

I am looking for the converter that when placed side by side with the same signal going to a standard definition TV, looks exactly the same.
If you want this for interlaced signals (bearing in mind my comment above) for this you need single field linedoubling which only the earlier XRGB units can do. They are the only units available that can emulate an interlaced 480i output on a progressive display. The Framemeister lost this feature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why would the signals be interlaced ?

All the systems you mentioned generally output in low-res progressive. There are less than a handful of games that output in 480i on a SNES or Genesis. A few more on the N64 and the PS1, but the huge majority of games on these still were 240p and not 480i.

Ok, I misspoke. Thank you for correcting me. Incoming signals are mostly low 240p, but some will be interlaced. I am interested in a box that could handle at least the 240p. I would like one that could handle interlaced if possible as well.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good luck with your quest.

You're easier off just believing me: none of the boxes you're looking at will be handling 240p as 240p.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am looking for the converter that when placed side by side with the same signal going to a standard definition TV, looks exactly the same.
Which is why you are being told to reconsider the options you have dismissed in your OP. The units you are pursuing will mangle your signal.

Good luck with your quest.

You're easier off just believing me: none of the boxes you're looking at will be handling 240p as 240p.
+1. Believe him. Read his blog. You will not find a more knowledgeable person on AVS to answer this type of question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which is why you are being told to reconsider the options you have dismissed in your OP. The units you are pursuing will mangle your signal.

+1. Believe him. Read his blog. You will not find a more knowledgeable person on AVS to answer this type of question.

I have no problem believing those boxes are great.^^^ Read a few posts up where I mentioned that I have a XRGB already. I want a portable, quick to hook up option.

I am looking for people with personal experience. Everyone who has commented so far has given me hypothetical impressions. If you think the quest is folly, than why even contribute?

Please, no more dismissive attitude toward this solution without trying hardware.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have no problem believing those boxes are great.^^^ Read a few posts up where I mentioned that I have a XRGB already. I want a portable, quick to hook up option.
No, what you asked for--and the part that makes your request so difficult to fulfill is:

that when placed side by side with the same signal going to a standard definition TV, looks exactly the same.
Have you moved the goal-posts? I'm unclear. Do you still require the image to look exactly the same?

I've read every active thread posted to this board in the last 8 years and I'm sorry to say that this particular message board isn't very heavy with tech minded retro-gamers. Fudoh's your best bet by a country mile.

For a variety of reasons your question might be better addressed over at shmups, gamesx or perhaps assembler.

Odds are they will direct you back to Fudoh, but who knows. Best of luck to you--report back to us with your results.

EDIT: if you're looking for first-hand experience, why not drop "Ryan" a line over on the YouTubz:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've read every active thread posted to this board in the last 8 years and I'm sorry to say that this particular message board isn't very heavy with tech minded retro-gamers. Fudoh's your best bet by a country mile.
You're really hard to please, HDGaming42. I made my request more clear in the discussion I had with Fudoh. It is clear that you understand my request as well, but to be even more precise...

In regard to the same image, I understand the problems of quantization and it is my desire to find a box that best translates the data of an analog signal into a digital one and then upscales it.

Also, I am quite familar with Mr Fudoh. I read the articles on hazard-city a while ago. I really appreciated the author's attention to detail when reviewing each box and that is how I ended up with my XRGB in the first place. I mean no disrespect to his wealth of knowledge, though I have not read those articles in a while nor those on RetroRGB.

Fudoh, do you know of any boxes that do take input of a 240p signal via composite?
Is it impossible for a box to take in a 240p analog composite signal?

·
Registered
762 Posts
You're really hard to please, HDGaming42.
You're not the first person to tell me this. I suspect you won't be the last.

I used to wonder how guys on forums turned into insufferable curmudgeons...

Fudoh, do you know of any boxes that do take input of a 240p signal via composite?
Is it impossible for a box to take in a 240p analog composite signal?
If you can't be bothered to revisit the most comprehensive website in existence that deals specifically with your stated issue and hit Control F, IMHO you're beyond assistance.

I'm pulling the 'chute.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts