AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure this is the right section, but I'm shopping around for ceiling speakers to use in an atmos setup that can be surface mounted. So far, I haven't found any off the shelf solutions.

As an alternative, I'm considering building a small box that may or may not be open to the ceiling cavity that would allow me to install an in ceiling speaker, but I'm sure this will affect sound quality, so this would be a last resort.

Can anyone point me in the direction of readily available surface mount ceiling speakers? What was your experience with them?

Has anyone built/seen a similar type of surface mount box for an in ceiling speaker? Were the effects of being mounted this way noticeable?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure this is the right section, but I'm shopping around for ceiling speakers to use in an atmos setup that can be flush mounted. So far, I haven't found any off the shelf solutions.

As an alternative, I'm considering building a small box that may or may not be open to the ceiling cavity that would allow me to install an in ceiling speaker, but I'm sure this will affect sound quality, so this would be a last resort.

Can anyone point me in the direction of readily available flush mount ceiling speakers? What was your experience with them?

Has anyone built/seen a similar type of flush mount box for an in ceiling speaker? Were the effects of being mounted this way noticeable?
Check out Crutchfield on line. They have a couple dozen different models of "flush mount" speakers. They have advisors that will help you. I have Polk's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction, I meant I'm looking for surface mount speakers...on-ceiling as opposed to the commonly used in-ceiling. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Reactions: darthray

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Check out Crutchfield on line. They have a couple dozen different models of "flush mount" speakers. They have advisors that will help you. I have Polk's. Hope this helps.

I was also under the impression, that the OP wanted in ceiling, but sigbig came to the rescue:)

Correction, I meant I'm looking for surface mount speakers...on-ceiling as opposed to the commonly used in-ceiling. Sorry for the confusion.

After reading your above quote, I was also going to suggest SVS Elevation, but sigpig (the quote below, beat me to-it):)

I was going to suggest the SVS Elevation, since this what use.
But was not aware of the other two links you have provided.

Nice find:)

Ray

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was also under the impression, that the OP wanted in ceiling, but sigbig came to the rescue

After reading your above quote, I was also going to suggest SVS Elevation, but sigpig (the quote below, beat me to-it)

I was going to suggest the SVS Elevation, since this what use.
But was not aware of the other two links you have provided.

Nice find

Ray
Sorry for the confusion.

Are you using the SVS's in a down firing position?

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

Yes I am, and very Happy with the end result for look and sound:)
Come with mounting bracket, and have already a built-in angle to face your MLP.
If you go that road, make sure to mention that they are for ceiling duty, they will include a Gizmo to lock the speaker in place:)

If you click on my Signature, you can see some pictures on page 3, post 64, 75 and 81.
Post 81, also show how I have achieve to place them for a 45 degrees angle facing the MLP, using only two holes from the mounting plate, due to the width of the ceiling joist.

Ray

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the confusion.

Yes I am, and very Happy with the end result for look and sound

Come with mounting bracket, and have already a built-in angle to face your MLP.
If you go that road, make sure to mention that they are for ceiling duty, they will include a Gizmo to lock the speaker in place

If you click on my Signature, you can see some pictures on page 3, post 64, 75 and 81.
Post 81, also show how I have achieve to place them for a 45 degrees angle facing the MLP, using only two holes from the mounting plate, due to the width of the ceiling joist.

Ray
Thanks, they're a little larger than I thought from their website. My room is pretty similar to yours in terms of speaker layout. How does it sound with Atmos from the back row versus the front?

It looks like your couch is where mine would be and I'm concerned with placement of the rear elevation and surround speakers. Do you lose much of the experience sitting back there?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Interesting! Do you have any experience with them? Would you recommend one over the other as an Atmos elevation speaker?
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with these speakers, but they have plenty of good reviews here on AVS. All are good speakers, it's up to you to decide which ones are right for you. Both SVS and RSL have free two-way shipping and a 30-45-day trial period, so you could order both and send back the ones you don't like. I believe that Ascend has a trial period too, but shipping is NOT free.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Thanks, they're a little larger than I thought from their website. My room is pretty similar to yours in terms of speaker layout. How does it sound with Atmos from the back row versus the front?

It looks like your couch is where mine would be and I'm concerned with placement of the rear elevation and surround speakers. Do you lose much of the experience sitting back there?

LOL

For me it was the other way around, I thought they were so small, since they are approximately two third the size of my Aperion Verus Grant Bookshelf:)
The mounting diagram is a little smaller than the size of a standard piece of paper, and from the picture on my signature, you can see the speaker is within the diagram
But have a nice weight for their size, very solid and the Black Gloss (rear pair) has an outstanding finish (front pair is the standard wood grain finish, nice but look like any other woodgrain that is well done), a sign of a well built speaker.

If you are talking just a single row, as your MLP.
Not at all. Since I got a 7.2.4 system, the four surrounds and the four ceiling speakers work as a team to create the perfect bubble of sound:D
Nothing distracting, just enveloping with some panning between each other and the front stage once in a while.

Now if you were asking about my second row.
No idea, the last time someone came for a show was about 5 years ago.

My philosophy, this system is built for me and my wife, so everything is calibrated for the MLP.
The back row is what I call, the peanut gallery, and very seldom in use.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts