AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have good or bad things to say about these? I saw a couple on the Radio Shack web site. This looks like what I want - an outdoor antenna that I can use diplexers to run the OTA signal along the same cable that DTV uses (don't want to run another wire into the house if I don't have to).

Do these need a power source? I saw one that came with an A/C adaptor ... what would that be needed for?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,383 Posts
They're okay for analog, but questionable for digital. Usually the multipath from simple diploles is a bit much for digital, but that all depends on where you are. Your profile doesn't say. You might find you'll do better with a Silver Sensor, a rooftop combo or plain ol' rabbit ears (which you can adjust from station to station.. something not easily done with clip-ons). Go to www.antennaweb.org to get the recommendations for your area.

If you DO try the clip-on, keep receipts.

Doc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I looked at antennaweb ... sounds like I'm in a good area for getting a clean signal. I've read lots of positve threads about the Silver Sensor ... maybe I'll stick with that.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I'd even question the ok for analog. A folded dipole is bidirectional. Unless the dish is pointed directly at or directly away from the transmission source, what little gain the design has at optimum aim is lost. Also, like Doc says, another source from the other direction or a reflected signal from an object behind the antenna can easily degrade the signal quality even if the antenna is aimed properly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can tell, both the Dish and the antenna need to point southeast (I live in Phoenix). But I hear what you're saying. Maybe I'll buy 2 - 3 kinds and see what works best. I'd rather go the indoor route if my wife doesn't think it's too ugly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well my wife thinks it's ugly - she mostly hates it, but she loves the HD picture. So we compromised and she didn't make me go up to the roof and run a bunch o' cable back down to my TV since my SS pulls in the stations just fine, and I agreed to move the SS to the closet whenever we have guests over. Wedded Bliss... ;)

Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Terk 42 on my dish and it works great for me. I think I'm probably the exception rather than the rule though. From what I've read, most people don't have very good luck with them. Even the guy who just installed my new 3-LNB dish said it was a piece of junk. My situation is somewhat unique though. The OTA transmitters are basically in two different directions separated by about 70 degrees and the dish points almost down the middle. The transmitters in one group is about 12 miles away, and the other group is about 21 miles. I also have a clear line of sight to both groups. Believe it or not, I actually took all this into consideration when we bought the house (my wife thought I was crazy!).

I have to agree with DrDon, if you do try the clip-on keep the receipt and make sure you can take it back if it doesn't work out for you.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Forget the clip on. They seldom work well for digital, unless you luck out like Terminator.

Also, do not buy ANY OTA antenna made by TERK. They are overpriced junk. Get a conventional looking outdoor antenna. If you want to try indoor and all your desired stations are UHF (check antennaweb.org for frequency assignment), the Silver Sensor is a good one to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.