AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending $6,500 on a plasma display, I want to make sure I do not damage it. I would like to know if anyone has hooked up a PC via DVI to a Sony KDE-42XBR950 display? I have read lots of posts about other brands but did not find any examples on my model - which is a 1024x768 panel.

I hooked up my Sony PC (RZ14G) to my plasma and came up with the typical 848x480 resolution. I could not change the resolution or the color quality properties. I tried playing a DVD using it and even though the resolution was ok, the color palette was horrible.

I did not really want to install PowerStrip on my machine unless I knew it was going to provide me with the ability to scale to 1024x768 and also allow me to go to a better color quality setting.

I will probably post this on the HTPC forum as well since I am not sure if the problem is with the PC or the panel configuration.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know ATI makes a DVI -> component adapter that lets their top end radeon cards output on HD component cables, which I think would be the best option if the DVI jack on the media reciever won't accept computer input.

I don't know though, although I want to try it, I haven't bought a 9800XT yet because the prices are just too high right now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think the first thing to confirm is whether or not your display will accept computer resolutions on the DVI input. In general its not a given as manufacturers of these high end displays (sans a couple) seem to ignore this desire.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to not hook up my production computer and bought a new video card to install in an idle machine. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 card connected via DVI to a Sony 42xbr950 Plasma screen at the default 640x480 resolution. The display is crisp but I lose part of the screen at the top, left, and bottom.

I know that the display is a 1024x768 screen. When I switch to 1024x768 the actual resolution does not change - I get 1024x768 with a viewable area of 640x480. I have changed the monitor to a 1024x768 SXGA type and still get the same result.

So, I decided to install powerstrip and I still get the same issue. I can select a lot of resolutions but the true resolution never changes.

Is this an issue with the DVI port being HDCP? Is there something special in PowerStrip I need to do to force the display to change its true resolution? Do I need to get a VGA to component transcoder?

Update: Late last night I was able to get the screen to display 960x540. Still can not get it to go as high as 1024x768 - which is killing me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.