AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Bose Lifestyle 48 System which I wanted to add bass shakers to. According to Bose, I have to purchase another subwoofer with recommended by Bose, wireless audio controls and adjustable crossover. I've owned this system for quite a few years and it has good sound but the connectivity of other components is ridiculous. I was reading through many of the forums here and came across someone who had suggested to another member to sell the Bose and start new. I've decided to agree with that individual and search for a new system. Here's my issue... I have no idea where to begin. I would love to hear from people who know what they're talking about as to which direction to go in. I would like to stick with an all in one system that has a bluray player and ease of connectivity for things like a PS3, bass shakers, etc. I figure that my budget will be from the sale of the Bose which is anywhere from $1500 to $2000. Any and all information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
19,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoby1 /forum/post/20818247

Okay, lot's of searching...

Which one?

Yamaha YHT-695

or

Onkyo HT-S8400

Better suggestions?

I was going to suggest the Yamaha YHT-395 but then noticed that you wanted an integrated Blu-ray so the 695 would probably suit your needs. I have the 395 and am very satisfied with it. I'm assuming that the 695 has the same a/v features that the 395 has only with Blu-ray. What I like about the 395 is that you can always upgrade the speakers later because the speaker connections are wire clip-in, not proprietary banana plugs or what ever, and the sub-woofer is powered separately. High Speed HDMI inputs/output, lossless audio, both color spaces, a very nice entry level system for sure. The 395 is 100W per at 8 ohms or 80W per at 6 ohms. Plenty enough power for us (I can't listen to glass vibrating sound anymore
) so the power is plenty, especially for low volumes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The YHT-695 does not have the blu-ray. I decided to let it go for the better quality device. I am happy to hear from someone who has a similar product to what I'm looking at though as there's only a few differences from what I'm looking at and what you own. I appreciate your input, thank you.

·
Registered
19,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoby1 /forum/post/20818757

The YHT-695 does not have the blu-ray. I decided to let it go for the better quality device. I am happy to hear from someone who has a similar product to what I'm looking at though as there's only a few differences from what I'm looking at and what you own. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Ok, cool. I have the Panasonic 210 which is a nice complement to the Yamaha as far as Blu-ray goes. Upconvert is excellent as well as Blu-ray. It all depends on what your needs are. At your price point you can probably get something a bit more robust.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoby1 /forum/post/20818757

Unless you don't mind replacing a HTIB with integrated player they are almost never a great option. Technology changes yearly and also if the player or sound portion of an integrated system fails the whole thing is scrap.

As Otto Pylot implies, a separate player and receiver is more flexible, offers the chance for upgrades later, and more often than not has more features and quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. So back to searching I went. Cnet has the Denon AVR-1912 as the editors choice with the second runner up as the Pioneer VSX-1021-K, both very similar machines with similar pricing but I was wondering that if I go with one of these receivers instead of an all in one, how do I go about picking speakers? I'm not really sure how to match up wattage and ohms and what have you. Cnet does recommend the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater Speaker System, also as their editors choice but I'm curious.. Both receivers say they are 7.1 but the speakers say they are 5.1, will this make a difference?

·
Registered
29,309 Posts
any 7.1 receiver can play 5.1. Not a problem at all. I use a 7.1 receiver for 5.1. I've used 3 different 7.1 receivers for 5.1.

Are the small satellite speakers like the Take Classic what you're looking for? For the money you're willing to spend you can get much better and larger speakers that will far outperform something the size of the Takes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True, 13" would not be too big but wouldn't want to go bigger. So Energy is a good speaker I take it. I'm really out of touch with this stuff, I never even heard of Energy and was originally thinking something along the lines of Yamaha or Onkyo. The online reviews that I see for Energy however, says it all. Will there be that much of a difference given size? Seems like a good place for a joke but I'll keep it real...

·
Registered
29,309 Posts

Quote:
I never even heard of Energy and was originally thinking something along the lines of Yamaha or Onkyo.

For speakers? Onkyo doesn't make good speakers, what I've seen from them are Home Theater In a Box speakers which are cheaply made and poor performing. Yamaha has a few models that are pretty good but neither brand is known for speakers. They're more known for the components, especially receivers.

Right now the RC-10 is one of the best bang for the buck speakers. They used to go for $550-600/pr. So $300 is quite a bargain. This is a discontinued model which is why they have clearance pricing but its hard to find something as good as these in the same price range. It just depends what you're willing to spend.

The RC-LCR is the matching center which is pretty large
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...4/product.html

These Cambrige Audio S30 speakers are highly regarded also and they're only 9" tall which may be more to your liking.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ariation=DKOAK

The S50 is the matching center
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ariation=DKOAK

Comes in black ash or dark oak color.

·
Registered
19,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20822066

For speakers? Onkyo doesn't make good speakers, what I've seen from them are Home Theater In a Box speakers which are cheaply made and poor performing. Yamaha has a few models that are pretty good but neither brand is known for speakers. They're more known for the components, especially receivers.

That was one of the reasons I went with the Yamaha system. The speakers are heavy and well made and sound pretty good for what they are. The sub-woofer is powered separately so the whole system has a really clean and crisp sound to it (at least to these ears). The receiver is really nice. I don't care about all the cute sound effects (concert hall, etc) so I was looking mainly for High Speed HDMI inputs/output, current audio formats (lossless), non-propietary speaker connections ( wired, not banana-plug), etc. I can always upgrade to better speakers down the road and being as I paid under 350 for the system, I figure I got a really good AVR with decent speakers to start off my modest HTS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to thank you guys for all the input I've received here. Being a Bose customer for so long and now realizing the differences that are offered for so much less, well, let's just say, it's been very enlightening. I've decided to go with the Cambridge Audio S30 speakers with the matching center speaker and sub because they are more to the size that I'd like displayed. The receiver will most likely be the Denon AVR-1912 although I really like the Pioneer as well and may end up with a last minute change of mind, still not 100% sure. The Yamaha's were very nice too but didn't have some of the options that I can get with the others at this price range. I really do appreciate the help and when it's all set up, I'll post my review, for what it's worth.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoby1 /forum/post/20823812

I'd like to thank you guys for all the input I've received here. Being a Bose customer for so long and now realizing the differences that are offered for so much less, well, let's just say, it's been very enlightening. I've decided to go with the Cambridge Audio S30 speakers with the matching center speaker and sub because they are more to the size that I'd like displayed. The receiver will most likely be the Denon AVR-1912 although I really like the Pioneer as well and may end up with a last minute change of mind, still not 100% sure. The Yamaha's were very nice too but didn't have some of the options that I can get with the others at this price range. I really do appreciate the help and when it's all set up, I'll post my review, for what it's worth.

You can't go wrong with either the Cambridge you've chosen or the Energy. I would also give the nod to the Energy, but I also know about size and wanting something to fir in and not standout too much. You will be pleasantly surprised if coming from a Bose background.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.