AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im looking for those that own a loewe planus or perhaps even a loewe tv that is simliar to mine. "1 VGA input, 1 Component, & S Video inputs"

My question is this, what kind of DVD players are you guys using with your loewe's and are you guys using any upconverting dvd players over component. My hdtv is setup through vga so thats taken and im looking for experience with the S-Video/Component issue.

Im heard multiple times that s-video is the way to go with dvd players on loewe's any experience with that as well?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
DVD players cannot upscale over component, unless they have been modified to ignore CSS

another option you have is to use a HTPC which you can either rip the DVDs to the PC HDD(which removes CSS) or use realtime software to remove the content protection like anyDVD

do not own your TV, but thought I would offer some help

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at the samsung 850 or the zenith 318 which can do upscale over component with some tweaks. Thats why i was wondering. If it cant do it over component on my tv then im probaly going to save up and buy a Cambridge 540D which seems like a darn good regular component dvd player. for < 400

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
does the player upscale protected DVDs? or can it simply upscale non CSSed DVDs?

if you buying the player from store then it would be illegal from them to sell the player which can upscale DVDs over component

although probably not what you want to hear, but as long as your TV will accept HD signals over component

I would use the HD cable/satellite box with component

and consider a HTPC for the VGA input

that would definitely get you the best image, furthermore the other benefits of hTPCs

web surfing (most likely since it has VGA, you could probably run the TV at 800x600), music library, DVD cataloging

etc....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nein!!! Number one - always use the component and NEVER run progressive scan from the DVD player into the Loewe. The processing in the Loewe is MUCH better than the crappy chip in the players. Get a good Cambridge Audio DVD player and shut off the Progressive scan. Let the Loewe do the work or you'll have a very soft and flat picture. I own the Planus as well. Keep the HD in the VGA and the DVD into the component. The reason why Loewe directs you to use certain inputs for certain things is there's a different amount of processing for each input. Trust me, don't run a so-called upconverting DVD player. You'll be amazed at the pic on the Planus if you just keep things simple. There is no plasma or LCD that comes close to the picture quality on a Loewe CRT.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dave...you sound like the LOEWE man! I have the Aconda and The pic is great with component input with progressive off but I get a more B&O bevision avant 3-D look when I hook it up thru S-video...but then the colors look muted. I heard (but not confirmed) the S-video by-passed the Loewe processor if you have a good DVD player .. I have the Denon 2910. What do you think?

Cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So use component and not S-video? You defintly are the man im really happy to have found someone that has a loewe and understands my questions :)

Should i pick up the Cambridge 540D or wait around for the new one their planning to release next year. Id really to have SACD and DVD audio which the 540D only has DVD A

Thanks for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.