AVS Forum banner

441 - 446 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am talking about the half width connectors that fit on the negative pole of the woofers. Those things are truly tiny. The ones I had on hand for the last build were 18-22ga and that was a trick because I could only use 16ga wire for those. To avoid using those this time I just soldered all the negative poles.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
I am talking about the half width connectors that fit on the negative pole of the woofers. Those things are truly tiny. The ones I had on hand for the last build were 18-22ga and that was a trick because I could only use 16ga wire for those. To avoid using those this time I just soldered all the negative poles.

I just used the full-size spade connectors on the prototype, and squeezed them down with pliers till they fit very tight, and pushed them all tge way to the base of the connector. Not exactly best practice, but worked great.

For my BOSS build, I just soldered the speaker wire directly to the terminal. Not a big deal to unsolder it to replace a driver. For my second quad dev, I will just solder directly as well.
I wasn’t quite ready for that commitment level on the prototype. I do need to replace the hatch gasket and pillows though, might solder it while I’m in there.

Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just used the full-size spade connectors on the prototype, and squeezed them down with pliers till they fit very tight, and pushed them all tge way to the base of the connector. Not exactly best practice, but worked great.

For my BOSS build, I just soldered the speaker wire directly to the terminal. Not a big deal to unsolder it to replace a driver. For my second quad dev, I will just solder directly as well.
I wasn’t quite ready for that commitment level on the prototype. I do need to replace the hatch gasket and pillows though, might solder it while I’m in there.

Chris
Chris,

I didn't really want to solder in the box. By just soldering the negative wires and putting crimp on connectors on the other end I was able to do all the soldering on the bench (with the cone facing up so no solder could drip on it). It was a good compromise between ease, speed, and wire security.

Is your second quad dev also for your garage?

I have two spare drivers and a spare 4x8 MDF sheet and figure I could build a BOSS/hover craft board for my two chairs with those leftovers. I have plenty of amps that would be well suited for that and open output ports on the MiniDSP too, so I am just slowly gathering data on that setup to see what I want to do.

What does your BOSS build look like? Have you posted about it someplace on AVS??

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Chris,

I didn't really want to solder in the box. By just soldering the negative wires and putting crimp on connectors on the other end I was able to do all the soldering on the bench (with the cone facing up so no solder could drip on it). It was a good compromise between ease, speed, and wire security.

Is your second quad dev also for your garage?

I have two spare drivers and a spare 4x8 MDF sheet and figure I could build a BOSS/hover craft board for my two chairs with those leftovers. I have plenty of amps that would be well suited for that and open output ports on the MiniDSP too, so I am just slowly gathering data on that setup to see what I want to do.

What does your BOSS build look like? Have you posted about it someplace on AVS??

Understandable, I was careful not to drip any solder. Doing it with the box standing would help on the dev.

Yep, second one will be for the shop too. Completely unnecessary, but why not, lol. Make a nice portable rig if needed too. I’ll pick up drivers next time they go on sale.

My BOSS is buried in the main thread somewhere. 2 drivers per seat. Hidden.

Chris

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
^^ Dude, you NEED to get HoverBoss’in !! It is a MASSIVE difference !!

441 - 446 of 446 Posts