AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the cross posting, but I wanted to reach the largest audience, and my questions pertain to several different areas.

I am building a new home, and I meet with the home technology wiring contractor next week to discuss my plans. To assist in the meeting, I plan to fax over a rough blueprint of my ideas on Monday. Would you please review this and comment as necessary. All assistance is appreciated.

Structured Wiring Plan

I recognize technology changes rapidly and I would like to live in my home for several years to come. Therefore, in creating this outline, I have tried to be forward looking. I have included an “upgrade path†of how I might use the wiring in the future. I have also listed my current equipment.

In general, I would like to have a home theater in the basement morning room (19’ long by 12’ wide).

Also, I plan to have Directv install a satellite dish soon after moving in to watch satellite TV in several rooms. Presumably, the Directv dish would be installed on the roof, with a RG-6 run into the attic. I would like dual (Directv, HDTV) RG-6s in the attic and fed through to the basement, and connected to a multi-splitter. I currently own a dual tuner Directv-TIVO (dual RG-6s) and have plans for additional TIVOs in other rooms and HDTV down the road. Therefore, I would like several rooms to have dual RG-6 panels, and one or more rooms with a single RG-6.

Lastly, I would like a home network with a Cat-5 outlet installed in several rooms to accommodate broadband internet, networked TIVOs, and other devices. I have confirmed the community can receive both DSL and Cable high speed internet service. Therefore, I would like the home networked to accommodate both technologies depending on my choice after move in.

Video picture

Current:

Ceiling mounted Infocus X1 front video projector (S-video, Component)

Upgrade Path:

Upgraded front video projector for HDTV (DVI, HDMI)

Wiring Request:

(1)

(a) S-video, component, and DVI/HDMI from central wiring panel to designated point above ceiling in basement; (OR)

(b) Conduit from central wiring panel to designated point above ceiling in basement (will allow homeowner to run wires after move-in).

(2) Ceiling electrical outlet for projector (recessed plug if possible but not critical).

Video Sources

Current: DVD player (S-video)

Directv satellite television dual tuner TIVO (S-video)

Xbox game console (s-video, component)

Upgrade Path: DVD player (DVI, HDMI)

Directv HDTV multi-tuner receiver/TIVO (DVI, HDMI)

Wiring Plan:

(1) Satellite TV wiring, Dual RG-6 from attic to basement central wiring panel. Satellite TV multiswitch (4 X 8) splitter to multiple rooms installed in utility room. Dual RG-6 to the following rooms: basement (2 RG-6s), 1st floor living room (2), 2nd floor master bedroom (2). Single RG-6 to 2nd floor bedroom 1 (1), 2nd floor bedroom 2 (1), 1st floor morning room (1). Note: One room would not be connected to multiswitch since total of outputs (9) exceeds multiswitch (8) (larger multiswitch cost prohibitive).

Extra power outlets in utility room for mutliswitch, router, etc.

Dolby Digital Receiver

Current: 100 watt x 5 channels Dolby Digital receiver (5.1)

Upgrade Path: Dolby EX Receiver 100 watt x 7 (7.1 channels)

Wiring Plan: See speakers below.

Speakers

Current: Left/Right front floor standing speakers 450 watt, 4 ohm; Center 4 ohm speaker; rear (L/R) satellite speakers; subwoofer.

Upgrade Path: Floor standing or wall mounted 7.1 speaker system.

Wiring Plan: 7.1 wiring. 14 gauge wire for Front L/R 4 ohm speakers; 14/16 gauge for all other channels. Subwoofer wire. Electrical outlet close to powered subwoofer.

Home Computer Network

Current: Linksys 4 port router; personal computer; Directv TIVO.

Upgrade Path: Multi-room networked TIVO and computers

Wiring Plan: Cat 5 LAN to allow for DSL and Cable depending on choice. Cable Internet wire to central wiring panel or to my router.

Questions:

1) How will the wiring be done for the home theater 7.1 wiring? What terminals/panels used and what locations (low/high on wall)? What subwoofer wiring is used?

2) Can I use my own router, or do I need to purchase one from you? Should the router be located in the central wiring panel (utility room) or should it be located in my office near the PC?

3) What wiring plan will be used to accommodate cable and dsl broadband (will a cable internet from the outside be run to the utility room for cable internet; would DSL be hooked up directly from the central wiring panel in the utility room to a router (yours/mine)?

THANK YOU>

·
Registered
174 Posts
for your internet question:

I would highly reccomend that you run an extra coax line into your basement just in case you decide to get cable. Then i would hook up the modem and the router(make sure you have outlets in your basement main panel room. And hopefully you will have individual cat 5 cables run from each room into the basement. From there you can hook it all up. You wont need any special types of routers, the one you have right now will do. You wont need either the router or modem near you because you can access their menus remotely through their assigned IP addresses. Sometimes however, if you internet connection doesnt seem to be working, it would be nice to be able to see if the status lights are on, but other than that, its no big deal.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
I would like dual (Directv, HDTV) RG-6s in the attic and fed through to the basement, and connected to a multi-splitter.
That's not enought cable for HD over satellite. Minimum is 4 for a multi-sat dish. If DirecTV starts to use other satellites for HD, then there may be a need for even more cables.

Quote:
I would like several rooms to have dual RG-6 panels, and one or more rooms with a single RG-6.
I'd run dual to each room. Tivos are addictive.

Quote:
larger multiswitch cost prohibitive
Parallel two 8 output models together. Much cheaper than a 16 output model.

Quote:
Electrical outlet close to powered subwoofer.
I used 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits in my theater room in addition to the regular outlets. One in the ceiling for the projector, one in the front of the room for the sub and one in the rear for the rest of the equipment. All are on the same leg of the breaker box.

Quote:
Subwoofer wire
I used the same RG-6 as I ran for the satellite. F to RCA adapters on the ends.

Quote:
2) Can I use my own router, or do I need to purchase one from you? Should the router be located in the central wiring panel (utility room) or should it be located in my office near the PC?
It depends on you. I'm constantly changing things in my office and with 5 or 6 computers running at the same time, it would be a pain to go up and down the stairs to change router connections.

-Robert

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone said I would need 4 cat6 wires from Directv dish?

Can you explain how this works? What are each of the wires used for from the dish?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
4 cat6 wires
RG-6. Cat 6 is for networking.

Quote:
Can you explain how this works? What are each of the wires used for from the dish?
1. One wire carries right hand polarized (RHP) frequencies coming from the 101 satellite location from the dish to the switch.

2. One wire carries left hand polarized (LHP) frequencies coming from the 101 satellite location from the dish to the switch.

3. One wire carries right hand polarized (RHP) frequencies coming from the 110/119 satellite location from the dish to the switch.

4. One wire carries left hand polarized (LHP) frequencies coming from the 110/119 satellite location from the dish to the switch.

-Robert

·
Registered
107 Posts
You did not say how quickly you have to finalize your requirements with the builder/installer. So I am going to assume you have time to better explore your needs.

Personally, I would find out as much as possible from the installer before hand. For example, what vendor (OnQ, Greyfox, etc.) of structured wiring components and hubs (i.e. cans) does he install? I would go to that vendors web site and become familiar with the possibilities. [You can be doing this while the vendor answers your questions.]

Where will the home run or central hub be located? Typically our vendors only provided their best warranty when located in a spot with HVAC coverage. The MBR closet is common. Ideally, a more centralized location is best.

The vendors I mentioned above have a range of options for hubs and if you provide adequate space (hub size) and power you can locate your own cable modems and routers in this hub or you can use the vendors own products.

If you maximally use this central hub you build-in even more flexibility and optional evolution possibilities for the future. For example, use CAT5e wiring for all planned phones, TCP/IP networks, and Firewire 800 connectivity.

If you use a module with both 110 and RJ45 outlets for each CAT5e connection you can connect with 110 (quality and easiest) and then use ready-made RJ45 plug cords to jumper to the desired signal processing module (i.e. phone, modem, router, etc.). Do a similar thing with your RG6 cabling. By using high quality products and a flexible hub/spoke strategy you will likely gain significant future-proofing for you and a future buyer.

By using a hi-def antenna with built-in combiner in the antenna each RG6 cable run from the antenna location to your central hub you can also simplify your connections to TV distribution (splitter) modules. Both vendors I mentions have an array of options. If you plan on four or more tv distribution points an amplifier may be necessary.

Using the above concepts, put in more wire now rather than "just" doing what you know you need now. Also, DVI and HDMI are new to the components world so don't be surprised if the installer is not prepared yet to make these installs. What is lagging are the structured wiring modules and outlets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another point: You can connect end-to-end RG6 cables in the central hub and avoid the above mentioned splitter if the number of incomming cables (from your already combined LNB's) are equal or less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.