AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the cross posting, but I wanted to reach the largest audience, and my questions pertain to several different areas.

I am building a new home, and I meet with the home technology wiring contractor next week to discuss my plans. To assist in the meeting, I plan to fax over a rough blueprint of my ideas on Monday. Would you please review this and comment as necessary. All assistance is appreciated.

Structured Wiring Plan

I recognize technology changes rapidly and I would like to live in my home for several years to come. Therefore, in creating this outline, I have tried to be forward looking. I have included an “upgrade path†of how I might use the wiring in the future. I have also listed my current equipment.

In general, I would like to have a home theater in the basement morning room (19’ long by 12’ wide).

Also, I plan to have Directv install a satellite dish soon after moving in to watch satellite TV in several rooms. Presumably, the Directv dish would be installed on the roof, with a RG-6 run into the attic. I would like dual (Directv, HDTV) RG-6s in the attic and fed through to the basement, and connected to a multi-splitter. I currently own a dual tuner Directv-TIVO (dual RG-6s) and have plans for additional TIVOs in other rooms and HDTV down the road. Therefore, I would like several rooms to have dual RG-6 panels, and one or more rooms with a single RG-6.

Lastly, I would like a home network with a Cat-5 outlet installed in several rooms to accommodate broadband internet, networked TIVOs, and other devices. I have confirmed the community can receive both DSL and Cable high speed internet service. Therefore, I would like the home networked to accommodate both technologies depending on my choice after move in.

Video picture

Current:

Ceiling mounted Infocus X1 front video projector (S-video, Component)

Upgrade Path:

Upgraded front video projector for HDTV (DVI, HDMI)

Wiring Request:

(1)

(a) S-video, component, and DVI/HDMI from central wiring panel to designated point above ceiling in basement; (OR)

(b) Conduit from central wiring panel to designated point above ceiling in basement (will allow homeowner to run wires after move-in).

(2) Ceiling electrical outlet for projector (recessed plug if possible but not critical).

Video Sources

Current: DVD player (S-video)

Directv satellite television dual tuner TIVO (S-video)

Xbox game console (s-video, component)

Upgrade Path: DVD player (DVI, HDMI)

Directv HDTV multi-tuner receiver/TIVO (DVI, HDMI)

Wiring Plan:

(1) Satellite TV wiring, Dual RG-6 from attic to basement central wiring panel. Satellite TV multiswitch (4 X 8) splitter to multiple rooms installed in utility room. Dual RG-6 to the following rooms: basement (2 RG-6s), 1st floor living room (2), 2nd floor master bedroom (2). Single RG-6 to 2nd floor bedroom 1 (1), 2nd floor bedroom 2 (1), 1st floor morning room (1). Note: One room would not be connected to multiswitch since total of outputs (9) exceeds multiswitch (8) (larger multiswitch cost prohibitive).

Extra power outlets in utility room for mutliswitch, router, etc.

Dolby Digital Receiver

Current: 100 watt x 5 channels Dolby Digital receiver (5.1)

Upgrade Path: Dolby EX Receiver 100 watt x 7 (7.1 channels)

Wiring Plan: See speakers below.

Speakers

Current: Left/Right front floor standing speakers 450 watt, 4 ohm; Center 4 ohm speaker; rear (L/R) satellite speakers; subwoofer.

Upgrade Path: Floor standing or wall mounted 7.1 speaker system.

Wiring Plan: 7.1 wiring. 14 gauge wire for Front L/R 4 ohm speakers; 14/16 gauge for all other channels. Subwoofer wire. Electrical outlet close to powered subwoofer.

Home Computer Network

Current: Linksys 4 port router; personal computer; Directv TIVO.

Upgrade Path: Multi-room networked TIVO and computers

Wiring Plan: Cat 5 LAN to allow for DSL and Cable depending on choice. Cable Internet wire to central wiring panel or to my router.

Questions:

1) How will the wiring be done for the home theater 7.1 wiring? What terminals/panels used and what locations (low/high on wall)? What subwoofer wiring is used?

2) Can I use my own router, or do I need to purchase one from you? Should the router be located in the central wiring panel (utility room) or should it be located in my office near the PC?

3) What wiring plan will be used to accommodate cable and dsl broadband (will a cable internet from the outside be run to the utility room for cable internet; would DSL be hooked up directly from the central wiring panel in the utility room to a router (yours/mine)?

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your proposal looks good. to answer your questions.

For the wiring in the theater. It will probably be done with bannana plugs and plates. that would probably be the best way to go. One piece of RG-6 w/ an rca end or a single RCA cable can be used for the sub. Just use a y spliter if the sub has two inputs.

you cab probably use you own router, all depending if it has the ablity to connect to your internet service provider. You should probably check with them first. Definitely put the router in the central wiring closet, along with the modem that your ISP provides you with. The line from outside will connect to the modem than an ethernet cable will conect to the router from the modem. This makes it much easier to manage network wiring. wether you get DSL or Cable internet make sure it is run to the central wiring closet.

In theater try to use component video wherever possible. It will give you the best picture.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Since DirecTV HD is in the plan, 4 RG6 cables are needed between the dish and external multiswitch for satellite signals. One more will carry either over the air antenna or analog cableTV if such a signal is desired and a 5x8 multiswitch is used. The 3 LNB oval dish required for DirecTV HD service has a built in, 4 output multiswitch so if an external 4 or 5x8 is added to the mix, it must be cascadable. The Sat B inputs must put out a 22KHz tone. Any DirecTivo receiver will need 2 RG6 runs from the multiswitch to supply dual tuners. The HD DirecTivo also will need one antenna connection for the ATSC OTA tuners. That can be handled with a diplexer from one of the sat lines if a 5x8 is used.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I install structured wiring and networks. I don't consider myself an expert, but I have a few sugestions.

1. You can put the cable modem and router anywhere you want. The structure panal location is good. If you want to put it inside the panel make sure to get a large panel installed, and a hinged door. Or some like it on a small shelf located near the panel. Install outlets for a clean look. You can also install the modem and router remotely (like in your office). You will need a deticated RG6(cable modem) or CAT5 (DSL modem) run to supply modem and a CAT5 back to the structure panel to feed the network switch/router. Many like this arrangement so it's easy to reset modem and/or router. It does take a few more wires to accomplished. So it's up to you were it's located.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.