AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my first ever surround system and I am having problems as I don't know much about doing this. I am sure I am doing something dumb, but I cannot get any sound after connecting my DVD player (that does not have an HDMI port) to a new Pioneer 21THX receiver. If I understand the manual, I should be using the Component Video Out on the back of the DVD player to the Component Video In on the back of the receiver. I have a 3 prong rca plug with yellow, red and white ends. Is this a proper plug instead of one that has green and blue ends? Using this plug is getting me a picture and so I am guessing it is ok. Assuming this part is right, I realize that i now need rca plugs that go into the DVD IN on the receiver from Audio Out on the back of the DVD player. I have Audio Line Out on the back of my DVD player and so I have used these, but I get no sound. PLEASE HELP. What am I doing wrong?? I have a Sony DVD player that is a few years old if that matters. THANKS.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob /forum/post/18136849

I am setting up my first ever surround system and I am having problems as I don't know much about doing this. I am sure I am doing something dumb, but I cannot get any sound after connecting my DVD player (that does not have an HDMI port) to a new Pioneer 21THX receiver. If I understand the manual, I should be using the Component Video Out on the back of the DVD player to the Component Video In on the back of the receiver. I have a 3 prong rca plug with yellow, red and white ends. Is this a proper plug instead of one that has green and blue ends? Using this plug is getting me a picture and so I am guessing it is ok. Assuming this part is right, I realize that i now need rca plugs that go into the DVD IN on the receiver from Audio Out on the back of the DVD player. I have Audio Line Out on the back of my DVD player and so I have used these, but I get no sound. PLEASE HELP. What am I doing wrong?? I have a Sony DVD player that is a few years old if that matters. THANKS.

Does that player not have component connections? RGB is what you should be using if possible. As for audio you should be using either a Toslink(optical) or coax(usually single RCA orange) out of the DVD player to an optic or coax in on the receiver. The RGB cables are much better than just the straight red,white and yellow cables. RGB being RED,Green,Blue for video only. If possible try that.

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
If you want the best sound from your DVD player and receiver, use a digital connection for audio. Either the optical out or digital coaxial output. You need to provide us with the model of your DVD player if you want more help. Or take a picture of the back panel.

Here's a link for inexpensive component video cables and optical or digital coaxial audio cables.

component video cables
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

optical

digital coaxial

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18137054

If you want the best sound from your DVD player and receiver, use a digital connection for audio. Either the optical out or digital coaxial output. You need to provide us with the model of your DVD player if you want more help. Or take a picture of the back panel.

I have a Sony SLV-D271P. As far as video, I am using the component input and outputs, but I am using a yellow, red and white plug. This gives me a fine picture, but no sound. Is this wrong? Am I supposed to be getting sound as well from just using these 3 plugs?

I was then trying to use the Audio Out RCA plugs on the DVD player to the DVD In on the receiver to get sound, but to no avail. My DVD player does have a Digitial Coaxial Out and so I guess I need a coaxial cable to connect from this to the Coaxial DVD In on my receiver. I thought a coaxial cable was the screw in kind the cable company uses, but that would not fit here. Is there a different type of coaxial cable I need? By the way, thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. As you can see, I am a real newbie here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i think you are assuming that component cables carry audio. the green blue red cables are video only. as mentioned, digital is the best way to carry the audio whether that be by optical or coaxial cable (looks like yours is coaxial). the cable you have with yellow red and white is meant to carry standard composite video (yellow) and analog audio (red white). so you will need a separate cable for video ( click ) and an coaxial digital cable for audio ... you can use one of the spare white or red.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
After looking at that model its a DVD/VCR. I believe its either red,white and yellow only for video and audio. Stereo only. Red and white for audio, yellow for video. Its time to upgrade your player for one with HDMI. And use your current player for VCR use only.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridcj /forum/post/18137209

i think you are assuming that component cables carry audio. the green blue red cables are video only. as mentioned, digital is the best way to carry the audio whether that be by optical or coaxial cable (looks like yours is coaxial). the cable you have with yellow red and white is meant to carry standard composite video (yellow) and analog audio (red white). so you will need a separate cable for video ( click ) and an coaxial digital cable for audio ... you can use one of the spare white or red.

I appreciate the help, but i am still confused. I understand that the component cables only carry video. The component inputs on the back of my pioneer receiver have 3 plugs. While I assume this is meant for the green, blue and red cables, I am using a yellow, red and white and this is giving me a fine picture. So my first question is whether it is ok to use the yellow, red and white plug instead of a green, blue and red? As far as audio, I thought my Audio Out on my DVD player to the DVD In on the receiver would give me sound, but it isn't. I will try using the coaxial audio out on the dvd player to the coaxial DVD In on the receiver. I just don't have a coaxial cable.

·
Registered
29,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18137294

After looking at that model its a DVD/VCR. I believe its either red,white and yellow only for video and audio. Stereo only. Red and white for audio, yellow for video. Its time to upgrade your player for one with HDMI. And use your current player for VCR use only.

Actually a combo VHS/DVD player has two sets of outputs. standard composite video and also component video. The component video only works with the DVD section I believe. You still would need to connect the digital coaxial cable for audio. A digital coaxial cable has a single RCA plug on each end.

Do you still use the VCR portion of this unit?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob /forum/post/18137309

I appreciate the help, but i am still confused. I understand that the component cables only carry video. The component inputs on the back of my pioneer receiver have 3 plugs. While I assume this is meant for the green, blue and red cables, I am using a yellow, red and white and this is giving me a fine picture. So my first question is whether it is ok to use the yellow, red and white plug instead of a green, blue and red? As far as audio, I thought my Audio Out on my DVD player to the DVD In on the receiver would give me sound, but it isn't. I will try using the coaxial audio out on the dvd player to the coaxial DVD In on the receiver. I just don't have a coaxial cable.

The color of the cables doesn't matter, just make sure that the jacks' colors match on the dvd and receiver match, eg yellow cable is on the red jacks on both. Since the picture is good, you must be fine. A coax cable is just another cable with rca jacks on each end, a digital coax cable claims to have better performance but any rca cable will work and verify you have sound working.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18137294

+1, this unit only have Line In and Line Out composite connections (yellow for video, red & white for audio). The coax connection is for antenna In and Out to Tv. The Coax connection is NOT for digital audio. (see page 15 and 16 in OM)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic /forum/post/18137368

The color of the cables doesn't matter, just make sure that the jacks' colors match on the dvd and receiver match, eg yellow cable is on the red jacks on both. Since the picture is good, you must be fine. A coax cable is just another cable with rca jacks on each end, a digital coax cable claims to have better performance but any rca cable will work and verify you have sound working.

Thanks. I tried a rca cable in the digital coax cable, but still no sound. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
NewbieRob, connect the LINE OUT yellow from DVD/VCR to yellow on the receiver (below the name DVD IN), red and white from DVD/VCR to red & white on the receiver (above the name DVD IN).

Do NOT connect the DVD/VCR yellow,red & white to receiver red,green,blue.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18137421

+1, this unit only have Line In and Line Out composite connections (yellow for video, red & white for audio). The coax connection is for antenna In and Out to Tv. The Coax connection is NOT for digital audio. (see page 15 and 16 in OM)

Actually, it does have both component and digital coax outputs (see page 32 in OM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob /forum/post/18137448

Thanks. I tried a rca cable in the digital coax cable, but still no sound. Any other ideas?

Yes, first off, plug the DVD/VCR unit directly to the TV to verify that it works and to eliminate the receiver as the problem. If it works then see my previous post. Make sure the audio input on your Pioneer receiver is assigned to the correct video input.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 /forum/post/18137498

Actually, it does have both component and digital coax outputs (see page 32 in OM).

Yes, first off, plug the DVD/VCR unit directly to the TV to verify that it works and to eliminate the receiver as the problem. If it works then see my previous post. Make sure the audio input on your Pioneer receiver is assigned to the correct video input.

Ah, so the page 15 and 16 are for VCR connections and page 32 is for DVD connections.

Edit: Just realized I missed afrogt's post, sorry NewbieRob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18137472

NewbieRob, connect the LINE OUT yellow from DVD/VCR to yellow on the receiver (below the name DVD IN), red and white from DVD/VCR to red & white on the receiver (above the name DVD IN).

Do NOT connect the DVD/VCR yellow,red & white to receiver red,green,blue.

That got me a picture, but still no sound. I will probably buy a Blu Ray player tomorrow as I was planning on buying one anyways. However, it is killing me to not be able to figure out how to make this work. Thanks for your efforts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.