AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All 3 tubes light up on my Sony 1272 but only the blue and red project an image...the green tube glows but when I look directly into it there is no image coming from it.

For instance when you pull up the grid to allign all 3 colors only the blue and red display...so there is clearly something wrong. It's not a matter of the green being cutoff via the control panel since I've already tried that and when I cut green off it stops glowing all together and when I key it back on it will glow but not project an image.

I spent quite a while searching this forum today and the nearest thing I could find was a mention of a driver card that could go bad and cause something similar...does this sound like that type of problem?

If so how much would one of these cost and would it be possible for me to install myself without any danger like electrocution...do I have to let the unit stand uplugged for a few days to discharge the electricity so it's safe?

As a last question, if I am lucky enough to repair this myself with your help, while I'm in there should I take the lens spacers out in order to determine what screen size this machine was set too? I haven't been able to figure that out and my intention was to set this up for it's minimum screen size of 70" which by the way I wanted to achieve in the 16:9 format and the manual only states 4:3 as 70"....what would the minimum height and width translate to then?

Thanks to all who respond and forgive me for reposting this question but my original post wasn't as clear so it recieved no responses.

Walt

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Does the green project an image when there is an input sent to the projector? It might be that the internal generator is bad and not outputting a green image. It sounds like the tube is good because it is lighting up.

Have you tried a working video signal?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.

Yes, I've hooked it up to my LD player using the S video jack and both the blue and red tubes project an image but the green while remaining lit up does not project an image at all.

Not the best feeling since this is my first projector and I was so excited to join all you folks in CRTland bliss.

Walt

·
Registered
255 Posts
Try swapping the CRT boards,Or the inputs to the driver board from the input board,If that`s possible with the Sony.

That should give you an indication of what`s working and to what stage.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
THe wires are not long enough to swap, this isn't like the BArcos..:)

I have the R/G driver card in stock, I just have to test them.

I charge $200.00 USD exchange including shipping. If you're interested, email me at

[email protected] .

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to the folks who have answered my post.

Curt,

How would I determine if this problem is definately due to this card, or are you saying it cannot be anything else?

When you say you have the R/G driver card...are you saying that one card provides output to both red and green...because only my green tube is not projecting?

Couldn't I just switch the green driver card with say the blue one and see if that works...then I'll know it's definately the card?

Also, how hard is this to pull out and replace for a novice...I just don't want to be touching anything high voltage...I see all the posts with electrocution cautions and it does make me concerned.

Thank you!

Walt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.