AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone.

I'm torn between two choices of HDTV's to buy. Please let me know which would be better, based on my situation.

Just to simplify things, the two choices are both made by Philips, and are both 46 inch TV's which will be viewed from 10-15 feet away. The two are similar in price. The TV will be used mostly for viewing sports, so keep that in mind.

Choice 1: LED TV 120Hz

Choice 2: LCD TV 240Hz

(I know that refresh rate is important when watching sports, but would the benefits of an LED TV outweigh this?)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Neither. At that distance 46" is way too small. You need to be in the 55" to 65" range to get the best image.

Owning both LCD and plasma I've never been impressed with sports on the LCD, motion is too choppy, my plasma's motion is much better. I have a Samsung B650 LCD and a Samsung 50' plasma as well as a Panny 42" plasma, for sports both sets beat the LCD hands down. YMMV....

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davs5032
Hi, everyone.

I'm torn between two choices of HDTV's to buy. Please let me know which would be better, based on my situation.

Just to simplify things, the two choices are both made by Philips, and are both 46 inch TV's which will be viewed from 10-15 feet away. The two are similar in price. The TV will be used mostly for viewing sports, so keep that in mind.

Choice 1: LED TV 120Hz

Choice 2: LCD TV 240Hz

(I know that refresh rate is important when watching sports, but would the benefits of an LED TV outweigh this?)

Thanks in advance!!
At the distance you are sitting, either set should be fine. The only real advantage LED has over standard CCFL LCD's are improved black level, but this comes at the cost of (in general) worse viewing angles. The LED is only really necessary if you do a lot of watching in the dark. However LED's are supposed to be more energy efficient, so if that's important to you, just check out both set's power consumption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/19579591

Neither. At that distance 46" is way too small. You need to be in the 55" to 65" range to get the best image.

Yeah i thought a 46" would be a little small based on some research I've done. I really have no other choice, though, b/c I have to fit it into a ~44" wide wooden cupboard, so I couldn't go bigger if I wanted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...and as for your Plasma suggestion, I have been reluctant to go in that direction, as there is a row of windows pretty close to the TV cupboard on the right hand side. I'm worried that glare might be an issue...

Matt, you also mentioned choppy sports pictures w/ past LCD's. Were those 60Hz TV's? Would a higher refresh rate prevent that from happening in my case?

-Thanks to you both btw for your responses!

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/19579591

Owning both LCD and plasma I've never been impressed with sports on the LCD, motion is too choppy, my plasma's motion is much better. I have a Samsung B650 LCD and a Samsung 50' plasma as well as a Panny 42" plasma, for sports both sets beat the LCD hands down. YMMV....

I've seen several football WorldCup matches,motion looked allright on my 120 Hz LCd,it seems important that Davz goes to the store and take a look at LCd sports motion himself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts