AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that I don't sound like an ass, but I'm perplexed at the arguments concerning video cards and thousands of posts on the subject. I can only read so many. :mad:

I'm currently running a Leadtek GeForce 3 Ultra 64mb w/DVI and PowerDVD for most playback. Many DVD scenes of the sky, sand, lights, where there is a gradient type effect , it is pixelated/blocky. I'm calling this a video card problem since other scenes are beautiful and I have no complaints at all.

It seems to me that ATI is the way to go from the posts that I read. So, here are the questions that I have and all are realitive to DVD playback:

Which ATI video card with DVI should one purchase?

What is the best current driver to use?

What WinXP OS changes/tweaks are needed to get the best picture?

Anything else?

Please, somone that has a right to be "stuck-up" on the subject need only reply. I don't want to start another post that does nothing except create argument upon argument with pages and pages to read. There has to be a "perfect" setup concerning DVD playback.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Geforce cards only have an 8 bit overlay, which tends to create blocking/tiling in subtle color gradients, which is why many HTPCers prefer the Radeon cards, which have 10 bit overlays.

Preferred cards are the 7200 and 7500s, and when the newer drivers are released for the 8500s (which will fix the gamma bug) they will probably jump to the top.

I don't use XP (and don't use DVI either, sorry), but the last I read the 6025s were the driver of choice.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
474 Posts
You may also want to head over to http://www.rage3d.com They have a wealth of info. You can also wait and check out the Matrox Parhelia when it comes out at http://www.matrox.com

Also keep in mind that what constitutes a "perfect" setup will depend on your pj/monitor/tv, and personal taste.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
I don't use XP (and don't use DVI either, sorry), but the last I read the 6025s were the driver of choice.

Hope this helps!
Any reason you don't use DVI?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
My display device is an HDTV.

I use the VGA output of my Radeon 7200 to a Key Digital transcoder to the component input of my Mits HDTV.

·
Registered
625 Posts
W2K/SP2 -> WinDVD3.1 -> Ati7500 w/6071 -> DVI (5m) -> LP350

Perfect P2P looks great...all I do is watch DVDs Movies/Concerts

Tried a Nvidia chip DVI Video card...didn't work

Used ATI7500aiw works but get some Pixel Errors...(red/blue random pixels in Dark Areas)

could be Bad Memory / the Tuner interferes ??

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karnis,

So, you weren't telling me not to use DVI... you were just saying that you use VGA because you have to?

Mouw,

"Tried a Nvidia chip DVI video card...didn't work" Do you mean that it didn't preform to your liking?

Thanks for the info on the Matrox and 8500 card. I think either of these with proper drivers will be perfect. From information I got on 8bit vs 10bit, 8bit seems to be 4x less precise and can cause the blockieness that I've experienced and have stated in other threads. 8bit sux. :p

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by redbone
Karnis,

So, you weren't telling me not to use DVI... you were just saying that you use VGA because you have to?
You are correct sir!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.