AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone know what kind of plug/cable would fit in this input? Not an RCA type. I don't think it's BNC either. The yellow part appears to be plastic so I don't want to try forcing a wrong plug in there. It is on my Toshiba 32 and the manual doesn't explain it. Toshiba support is useless.

Sorry didn't know where else to post this. Any help or even advice where to find info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Two guesses...

#1 - A broken composite RCA connection

#2 - A 3.5mm TR or TRS A/V connection (like you might find on an older camcorder.)

·
Premium Member
18,312 Posts
That picture is too close up, and it would be useful to see a pics of all the analog inputs/outputs in one frame to help give other clues to what it should be. And without knowing or seeing how large or small that jack is in relation to other familiar inputs/outputs it's kinda hard to figure out.

But my best guess is that it's a broken 3.5mm Audio stereo input (for connecting to the sound card on a computer or laptop). It kinda looks like the contacts inside a 3.5mm stereo audio jack. If you have a 3.5mm computer audio cable (with a green male end) or even a set of IPOD headphones gently try to plug it in and see if it fits correctly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I think you guys nailed it. Thanks

A standard headphone type 3.5mm mini jack seems to fit in there properly. . What threw me is that I guess the outer housing around the jack is broken off . Makes that whole opening look like it might take some kind of larger plug. Also as you see, it's labeled Video In and then also "audio". If that older camera style mini jack for video also carries audio, that would explain the label.

The only reference to it in the manual says "Analog Video port, Connect using a commercially available conversion cable". Nothing else anywhere as to what it is or how to use it.

Toshiba "support" was no help at all. They could not tell me what it was for either, obviously did not know what kind of cable would fit.

·
Premium Member
18,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r  /t/1525369/experts-help-me-identify-mystery-video-port-on-my-toshiba-32-l4300/0_60#post_24558575

......The only reference to it in the manual says "Analog Video port, Connect using a commercially available conversion cable". Nothing else anywhere as to what it is or how to use it.

That manual reference would have been helpful in your first post. I have a small 10" LCD TV that has a 3.5mm Audio/Video input and came with a special composite video adapter cable like the one pictured below. I think i have one of these adapter cables with my old JVC Camcorder (which has a 3.5mm A/V input) that outputs video to the TV's regular Yellow/Red/White RCA A/V input.

If your Toshiba doesn't have a traditional Yellow/Red/White composite video input then this 3.5mm is probably your regular A/V input (which is why it's labeled Video 1). The word Audio below it kinda confuses the issue though, but it probably means that this jack is video and audio which makes sense now. Another clue is that your broken jack is yellow which tends to signify composite analog video.

On EBay i searched for 3.5mm video conversion cable and one likely candidate is item # 171150028082

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1525369/experts-help-me-identify-mystery-video-port-on-my-toshiba-32-l4300#post_24562589

That manual reference would have been helpful in your first post. I have a small 10" LCD TV that has a 3.5mm Audio/Video input and came with a special composite video adapter cable like the one pictured below. I think i have one of these adapter cables with my old JVC Camcorder (which has a 3.5mm A/V input) that outputs video to the TV's regular Yellow/Red/White RCA A/V input.

If your Toshiba doesn't have a traditional Yellow/Red/White composite video input then this 3.5mm is probably your regular A/V input (which is why it's labeled Video 1). The word Audio below it kinda confuses the issue though, but it probably means that this jack is video and audio which makes sense now. Another clue is that your broken jack is yellow which tends to signify composite analog video.

On EBay i searched for 3.5mm video conversion cable and one likely candidate is item # 171150028082

That's the kind of thing I was thinking of in my #2 guess above.
"#2 - A 3.5mm TR or TRS A/V connection (like you might find on an older camcorder.)"

I guess what you show is TRRS though... but the idea is the same... audio and video on the same 3.5mm plug/jack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts