AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

experts on diy speakers, please edit my ideas

343 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Thomas-W 
#1 ·
I just posted another thread on here last night about crossovers, and I have more, but it didn't seem to fir there, so I am making a new thread. This is the full detailed list of my parts and my idea for my speakers I want to build. I already have a few different prototypes under my belt to make sure my cabinet building skills are where they need to be, now the question is what about my speaker knowledge. Here's what I have planned:

speakers: GR-Research M-130 16ohm, and 8ohm for surrounds

tweeters: GR-Research T1

Material: 3/4" MDF

Crossover: PE #260-144 2-way by Dayton with 12db Linkwitz at 3Khz

fronts: Using 2 16ohm drivers in parallel the dimensions are 8x11x42 outside, with a shelf inside at 32.2" down, resulting in a 1.15cubic foot box with a 3x5.2"port. The website says 1.15 is optimal, even though my programs seem to indicate 1.52 is. This makes the F3 47hz.This would also have insulation inside to dampen, which they say adds 10% volume, so I think that eliminates the need to calculate the volume the drivers are taking and adding that to the total inside right?

For the center I think I will have to do a sealed enclosure because I think the size is too big to port it, they say it only needs .48ft^3 for sealed with a F3 of 90hz. This makes the outside 8x8x21. My only concern is if I should have the center be able to have an F3 below 90.

I haven't decided to make the surrounds dipoles or not, I have drawn out some different examples, and whether or not to make the rear just like the center, or like the surrounds. That will come later after I have started work.

These speakers have a nice flat response, and I figured 3K was a good point for the crossover.

The boxes will all be piano black with a triangular piece in metallic silver that will taper as it goes down, holding the drivers within the silver part. I saw a set of Dynaudio's that looked similar, but they have the silver part curve, mine is straight, and the rest is black.

So, there it is, all laid out. I would like if anyone knows a lot about design that they could take a moment and make sure all looks well before I start the work. I already have the plans drawn out, and the wood bought. As soon as it stops raining outside I plan to start work, but around here that means not until June.

See less See more
#2 ·
One should never use generic crossovers. The crossovers should be custom built specific to the drivers and baffle being used. One needs to measure the drivers on the baffle being used. Take measured data, input it to a crossover modeling program. Build a prototype, measure the performance, listen to the sound, then fine tune the crossover as needed.

If this process isn't followed then one is simply 'guessing' about their design.

Since you intend to use the GR drivers, why not just get one of their kits? That way you'd know that the system was properly designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.