AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrading my receiver from a denon 3802 to a 3803 I been reading alot of post concerning the sound of these denon receivers. Seems like some people feel denon sound warm others think bright. Getting confused as to what is a warm sounding compared to a bright sounding receiver?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Bright: The highs, treble or "upper" frequencies are very pronounced. Prolonged listening to equipment that is bright (whether it be the receiver or the speakers) could cause headaches or listening "fatigue" in some listeners.

Neutral: Proper amount of low and high frequencies are present. Neither is really over-bearing. However, some people may not like a "neutral" sound and may prefer their sound to go one way or the other.

Warm: Good presence of lower frequencies are present. Could be over-bearing, but could be adjusted by dropping the bass settings a bit - or even dropping the level of output going to the subwoofer.

Hopefully, this gives you a better feeling or idea of what the terms mean when they are discussed.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Actually 'warm' is more an emphasis not on low frequencies but mid-range frequencies in the range of the human voice and many musical instruments.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Dean,

I agree - warm is not a term associated with lower frequencies from my readings of critics.

Reggie

For sure bright is associated with higher frequencies - though does not always mean so bright that it creates headaches or fatique (though it can occur in some or extereme situations)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Technically I guess it would be an emphasis on upper-mid range frequencies. But there shouldn't be an emphasis on anything in the best of worlds, though it's often there either due to the technical details of the design, or due to purposefully create warmer or softer sounding products. Personally, I just want flat. If the content is harsh, it should sound harsh. If it's lush, it should sound lush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.