AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what the "height" channels will do for me? Up until a month ago, I have been in the 5.1 world. I am thinking of trying this. But, where should I place these speakers? Directly above the mains at the ceiling? Farther appart?

Is it an awesome effect? Is it worth the expence?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Good read. But what do you guys think?

·
Registered
30,893 Posts
I would place the height speakers higher and wider than the mains (instead of directly above the mains). The few times I've heard the effect, it was subtle, but still well worth it. Don't expect stuff to be flying overhead, the effect is more like having a tall soundstage, adding vertical imaging and envelopment to an otherwise horizontal soundstage.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Click my sig to see where mine are.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think that all these ideas about height and width speakers are mainly applicable if you have large screen (more than 100"). Then if your main speakers are at ear level, you may want something higher that that (simply because your picture center is higher). The same applies to the width speakers - recommended angle to main speakers from listening position is 30 degrees, but this is less than angle to the edge of the screen, so you need additional speakers there. If you do not have projector and large screen, there is no value from setup expanded from regular 5/7 speakers.

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
"In order to use Dolby Pro Logic IIz to is maximum effect, the front height speakers should be mounted approximately 3ft directly above the front left and right main speakers. In addtition, to retain the character of the original surround sound mix, the speaker level settings for the height channels should be set slightly lower than that of the main left and right front speakers. However, you tailor the speaker levels to your preference."

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool guys. Thanks. I am going to try it for giggles!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
What are trying to accomplish by adding these speakers? IMHO, much of what is achieved from adding height channels can be accomplished with a proper soundstage setup and high frequency diffusive field. I have had private listening demos from well known companies where I got to try many different seats, and I was unimpressed. I have heard better sound from a standard 7.1 setup that was properly designed and treated than I have from adding either the side or height channels or both. The problem often lies in the fact that they are easily localizable often associated with the proximity to a boundary.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh boy. This is a bigger can of worms that I thought! But, my room is nowhere near perfect and experimenting will be half the fun! I will do some more research as well.

·
Registered
30,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo /forum/post/19514497

IMHO, much of what is achieved from adding height channels can be accomplished with a proper soundstage setup and high frequency diffusive field.

By that logic you could say that much of what is achieved from adding a centre channel can be accomplished with proper soundstage set-up of the front L/R speakers. In both cases you'll get phantom imaging, but not with the kind of stability you get with speakers at those locations.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo /forum/post/19514497

IMHO, much of what is achieved from adding height channels can be accomplished with a proper soundstage setup and high frequency diffusive field.

Fortunately--and as a corollary to your thesis--those of us otherwise precluded from obtaining "a proper soundstage setup and high frequency diffusive field" for whatever reason might be able amend at least some of the shortcomings of our home theater environment by spending perhaps as little as $50 to purchase a pair of front height speakers! [In My Humility-Free Opinion:] That might be considered a pretty good bargain!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eh. What the hell. I think it is fun playing around with this stuff.

I had a "4.0" set up in the mid 80s using a Sansui 4000 and four Fisher towers! THAT was awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex
That might be considered a pretty good bargain!
If it detracts from the presentation, I cannot justify where the benefit lies. If the speakers are localizable, my attention will be diverted to the speakers on a regular basis, which is referred to as the open door effect. Contrary to popular belief, you can also spend your way into problems as well. I am giving my opinion here based on experience. My experience regarding the height and side channels was that I would not want them, nor would I recommend them. I have been in many theaters with "standard" setups where the presentation from seat to seat was vastly superior to what I experienced in the Audyssey theater with both height and side front channels engaged. Just my two cents. If you really want to do it, I would suggest using in ceiling angled speakers. At least the SBIR effect will be negated. Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SMB, I have seen the 5.1 and 7.1 set ups in the THX and Dolby sites. And none of them do "heights". You also state that you prefer a good 5.1 over a OK 7.1 set up. Why is that? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Hi Karl,

No, I do not prefer 5.1 to 7.1, I have just heard 5.1 systems that are incredible. I would take a good sounding 5.1 setup over an OK 7.1 setup any day of the week. Sound is one of the main reasons people use their theaters less and less over time. They just don't know that the reason they use it more infrequently is bad sound. So, given that, I'll take the good 5.1 system. Actually, I prefer the use of multiple side channels (not front)...in the misnomer of what we refer to as 9.1, 11.3 etc, etc to describe multiple side channels and subs. The one thing they don't depict in either the Dolby and THX diagrams are walls...and multiple seating. You can use the walls to your advantage IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts