AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the Explorer 3100HD this week from Rogers Cable in Toronto. I have a RCA MM32110, and plan to hook up the 3100 via its component input. How will HD content be displayed on the MM32110. Will 16x9 content be cropped?? I want to be able to watch HD in letterbox mode so I can see the entire picture and have black bars to and bottom. Does the 3100 have a simular function to DSS HD Recievers where you can zoom to fill the screen or watch in 16x9 mode?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
i am not positive since I don't have one, but I believe that the 3100 has no way to change the aspect ratio. With the 32110, you are stuck watching everything tall and skinny. It will fit the whole screen, but look a little distorted.

I have the SA2000HD and the proscan 32810 (same tv, just proscan not rca). I have the distortion problem. I am trying very hard to come up with a fix, but there is not much out there. You can do the "anamorphic squeeze" trick, but that is a little risky, and may not yield great results. You have to go in to the sevice menu and change some values. Then the image will be correct, but there will be overscan artifacts. Some people tape black material to their tv, to hide the overscan. I have not wanted to do this.

Aother option is to buy a scaler that handles high defintion signals. They can change the aspect ratio to what you would like. They are also good b/c you can scale ntsc signals and the result will look very nice. The downside- price. There is a new faroudja scaler which looks amazing, but is $4000. I think the lowest ones will be $3000.

I have also looked into buying a component capture card for my PC. Then I could change the AR in that. But there is very little out there and very expensive as well.

If only SA could have put this into the box like all other Hi-def boxes. Another non-feature is down-rezzed s-video output of hi-def signals. That way you could record (in standard def) the widescreen video. It looks like the only thing better about the 3100 (as compared to the 2000) is it is a little faster and won't crash as much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 3100HD upconverts everything coming out of the components outputs to 1080i. I'm quite certain that the aspect ratio of the screen was specified in the setup menus. Since most sets cannot adjust 1080i input, the cable box must be adjusting the picture output for 4:3 sets.

My set is widescreen, though, so I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just called Scientific Atlanta to ask them if there was a way to specify in the box how to show a correct HD image on a 4x3 set. The guy said that this was up to Time Warner and that they had nothing to do with it. He got a little mad that I was even calling him. He asked me who at TW told me to call him. I said I couldn't remember. He then told me to call TW back and that they should call him, even conferencing me in if they wanted to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input guys, I guess I will find out tonight when the tech comes to drop off the box. I cant wait to play around with it, currently Rogers has 9 HD channels.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Your 3100 will show what ever aspect ratio the material is being broadcast as... WHEN VIEWING THROUGH THE COMPONENT SIGNAL. If you're watching analog, upconverted 4:3 material, you'll have black bars on each side. If you're watching, say, Band of Brothers on HBO it will be full 16:9.

I'd been told there was an area in set-up where you specify your screen type (4:3 vs. 16:9) but I've never found it.

Personally I run component and S to my TV. I only use component for HD and run S for everything else since the 3100's upconversion is pretty lousy. And I'm also used to using one of the stretch modes in my 65" Mits for forced full-screen viewing.

Have fun! And enjoy your 9 channels of HD - you're pretty lucky with that kind of content available.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Is anyone getting a PCM signal throught the digital output of the SA3100HD when you turn to a analog channel. I'm not. Unfortunately my H/K AVR8000 doesn't have auto switching capability so I have to manually switch my receiver from digital input to analog input to get audio wen I turn from a digital channel to a analog channel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl L
Is anyone getting a PCM signal throught the digital output of the SA3100HD when you turn to a analog channel. I'm not.
No, it doesn't do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anybody happy with their audio receiver/decoder with video switching capabilities suitable to their SA Explorer 3100HD?

Ideally it should have a one button switch between the video component output and S-Video output of the 3100. The component output can be tied to the digital audio output, and the S-Video mode should be able to use the same digital audio but automatically default to the analog output if there is no digital signal present. Does such an audio-sharing feature exist on any of the (not-terribly-expensive) receivers out there?

All this and it should still have room for a DVD player with component video and fibre audio.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Is the dish6000 the only HD unit that even when upconverting everything to 1080i it gives the option to put grey bars on 4:3 sources?

I normally watch SD stuff thru svideo, but IF i wanted to, i should get grey bars, say - when i'm watching scifi channel stuff. *shrug*

idea: tivo should have an option to give a command to the HD receiver so if i forget to change outputs on my cable box, it will switch me back to svideo.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes, I really wish grey bars were the standard everywhere. Its one of the few things I don't like on the 3100HD.

Regarding the input switch: I set up macros with my remote to do the switching for me. Its a real pain getting it to work just like you want, but the results are generally worth the trouble.

--Karl

--

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just traded my old SA2000HD for a SA3100HD.

The 2000 had no sound on non digital channels even though my Dennon 2800 had auto switching.

The SA3100HD now gives me sound on all channels. Plus What an improvement in regular HBO etc. IT WOULD BE SUPER it it had aspect changes, to be stretch a 4x3 to 16x9.

RICHARD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.