AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem that the new Scientific Atlanta explorer 8000 box will do all the things that people are looking for in an HDTV receiver. However, since they are OEM only it will be up to vendors to repackage this into their offerings. This may give Time Warner a chance to offer what everyone is asking for with firewire, dual tuner and PVR support since this box's poorer cousin the 3100 is the backbone of several TW systems.
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/cus...dfs/745538.pdf

do out summer of 2002

Opinions ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
rcweiss,

I don't see anything on that spec sheet about HDTV. Looks more like an SD DVR. It does have some interesting input/output possibilities, but cable companies would have to actually implement a use for them.

--Karl

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm - Karl you could be right - I may have made an invalid assumption that since this is being positioned as their top of the line product for keeping cable subscribers from jumping to satelite systems and the fact that it talks about hooking HDTV televisions to it that it actually supported HDTV. But is does not actually say that.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think this box will be able to do HD (see QAM support) but I don't think it will be able to record to HDD the HD channels, only the SD analog. As someone said in another thread, I don't think the elevator goes all the way to the top floor at Scientific Atlantic. :(

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gentlemen,

There will be a version of the S/A 8000 that will do HD, but not all of them (essentially an SD version and an HD version). I expect the HD one won't be available until later in the year. From what their reps have told me, the hard disk WILL record HD in the HD version.

I'm not sure what the output capability will be however. Something I read quoted TWC's head engineer as saying we spec'ed this box to S/A 2.5 years ago. I expect that's long before 5C, HDCP or other specs were completed.

Before we get too carried away with bashing Scientific Atlanta (as I have done to their face), keep in mind that they are one of only two box manufacturers who even have an HD capable cable box in production today. Perhaps the abuse should go more toward those set-top producers who don't even have a box in trial yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.