AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I noticed three new channels in the guide at 82, TMN-HD, and French and English PPV channels.

I hope this means we'll finally get more TMN movies in prime time. I noticed that tonight we have 40 Days and 40 Nights at 9:45

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They'll definitely be moving the channel to 82 once the repoint is done. But on 82 it isn't sharing with network HD like it is at 91.

Keith, TMN does not do its own conversions like HBO, nor do they do any upconverts like Showtime does, so there are only about a dozen movies a month available in HD, plus HBO series and movies. The studio has to have an HD master available to them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
so this is just the same station on 280 or whatever channel that shows the occasions 6 feet under and such, and it is basically just going to be moved to 82 from 91 bird it sounds like. I think I heard that soon all the HD will be on 82 with an HD package to subscribe to. Hope I hear more about that soon

Thanks much

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's basically the same station with one big difference: 280-whatever was almost never active in prime time, because the bandwidth was needed for network HD. Now we should see more in prime time, basically getting everything on TMN's HD schedule (available at http://www.tmn.ca/programming/aprilHDschedule.pdf )

All the programming should be over on 82 in a month or two, I guess, but I'm not exactly looking forward to having it in a package. I prefer getting it free like I do now! :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
What about for Western Canada. I'll be getting a 6000 this week, and I see that TMC is also suppose to have a HD movie channel. Is it available now or sometime in the future? If it is available, what is the programming like on it?

I currently have BEV, but only Nimiq 1 and I don't see any TMC hdtv.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
In addition to the existing 9 HDTV & 2 EDTV channels:

280 - Vu1HD PPV English

281 - VuFHD PPV French

282 - M-HD The Movie Network

283 - MC-HD Movie Central

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The TMN "news" is sure a disappointment. I looked at the schedule posted on their site (thanks, "Newbie" for the ref.) - there are almost no movies of any consequence. Nothing like HBO or SHO has on DTV. It does look like there are some PPV movies available - but at $5.99CDN. that is no bargain, even for those who can pay in U.S.$..

Once we can get a PVR for HDTV, it may be better since we can finally time shift what little is being offered so far.

...mike

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, you have to remember that TMN is less than a tenth the size of HBO in customer count, and simply can't afford to make their own HD masters as HBO and ABC do -- their HD subscriber base is likely 10-20 thousand customers.

Their HD movies, for the most part, are ones distributed in Canada by Alliance/Atlantis, namely releases from Miramax Films, New Line Cinema, USA Films, Artisan Films, and Fine Line Features. Presumably this is because Alliance/Atlantis makes or obtains HD masters for making the DVDs.

Also, BEV is by far the largest distributor of TMN (Rogers has more subs than BEV, but far fewer digital subs) and until this week, they couldn't offer a dedicated channel, or broadcast much in prime time. Given that, it would have been foolish for TMN to spend money for HD transfers that no one would ever be able to see or to upconvert the rest of their line-up. Now that they will have real distribution and a dedicated channel, we may see more -- perhaps they'll be able to come to an arrangement with HBO to obtain their HD transfers.

$5.99 isn't a bargain, but the SD movies are $4.99 so I don't find the premium to be excessive. Since DirecTV charges the equivalent of $5.99 CDN for standard definition movies (I don't know if they charge more for HD), I don't see cause for complaint.

Apart from the PPV, every bit of HDTV we've received in Canada has been, up to now, free of charge or included at no extra cost with the SD channel. And CRTC policy is that it will remain that way. When TSN and Discovery HD launch, they will not be able to charge a separate fee for it -- and when they launch there will be no question of whether or not they'll be available on Rogers and BEV -- they will be there on day 1.

It hasn't been free for Rogers, BEV, Shaw/Star Choice and TMN though. They've invested a lot of money without any return at all on their investment, because they are thinking of the future.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do you have to subscribe to the "movies" channel to recieve TMN-HD or is it just there for free like the network-hd stuff?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
James99, be sure to let me know when you see Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies in HD on HBO and Showtime. :)

John, you have to subscribe to the Movies package.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Newbie -

I agree w. what you said in your thotful post. I can understand why TMN can't do their own HD mastering. I would hope, tho, they could make a deal w. HBO and/or SHO to make use of their HD movies. Should be a no brainer for the U.S. companies since it would just be "found" income even tho TMN can't pay much.

Seems like a fair percentage of those 10000 BEV HD customers are here on AVS.

I pay for HBO from DTV. I don't have an HD capable DTV setup and probably won't go to the expense and bother just for one occasional movie i might want to watch. DTV offers little in the way of HD programming.

...mike

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snidely
DTV offers little in the way of HD programming.
DTV is the acronym for the ATSC Digital Television system, not DirecTV.

DirecTV has a decent amount of HDTV: HDNet, HBO, Showtime, HD PPV movies.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is excellent news, once I'm repointed to 82 I will subscribe to TMN. Currently with my busy schedule it is impossible for me to enjoy any HD on TMN.

Thanks for the info Newbie!

-Mani

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
DTV is the acronym for the ATSC Digital Television system, not DirecTV.

----In this forum it is understood DTV stands for DirecTV.

DirecTV has a decent amount of HDTV: HDNet, HBO, Showtime, HD PPV movies.
-----Forgot about HDNet. Are all movies shown on the main HBO channel (501) mirrored on their HDTV channel (509) in HDTV? That would be a whole lot of movies. If not, how many are?

I don't subscribe to SHO. How many of their movies are in HD?

I was thinking that there is, of course, no network HDTV on DTV or DISH except for limited availability of some CBS HDTV. BEV offers two different network feeds.

...mike

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

----You have one of the best tag lines i have seen. This is the first time i've had occasion to comment on that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike, I agree with you it's a no-brainer and I'm sure for a lot of those 10,000, it will make the difference between subscribing or not to TMN, especially those who don't care about Six Feet Under or The Sopranos, which I'm sure will be in HDTV on CTV when season four makes it there.

But these things do take some time (look at the ESPN-HD debacle) and TMN probably had no way of knowing when BEV would be able to give them a dedicated channel.

I'm betting by the end of the year we will be seeing a full-time TMN channel with promos, upconverts and lots more HDTV. Eventually, as has always been the case, TMN will have ALL the new Hollywood movies that would require subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz.

Where they fall behind is that HBO also shows lots of older movies. We have MoviePix for that, as well as a plethora of broadcast and specialty channels that may have commercials, but still show movies uncut.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Are all movies shown on the main HBO channel (501) mirrored on their HDTV channel (509) in HDTV? That would be a whole lot of movies. If not, how many are?
With very few exceptions, yes. It is a "whole lot of movies," as you put it.

Showtime still shows some of their movies in 4:3, and shows a lot of 480i widescreen upconverts (basically upconverted DVD). They don't show nearly as much actual HDTV as HBO. You can see their HDTV schedule right here .

·
Registered
45,643 Posts
Quote:
In this forum it is understood DTV stands for DirecTV.
No. In this forum, DTV means Digital Television, not DirecTV.

DirecTV is sometimes abbreviated as D*, and Dish Network as E*.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.