AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried to install an ExpressVu 6000 receiver so that I could pick up the networks in hi-def. I had some problems picking up the Nimiq satellite and took a break for a while, leaving the dish pointed in some random direction.

When I came back a couple of days later, the signal meter screen no longer listed Nimiq as the satellite of choice. The screen totally changed and now gave a list of 4 DISH netowrk sattelites to choose from. On the system information screen, the phone number and website for DISH network has replaced every reference to ExpressVu.

Somehow my receiver has been taken over by DISH. What happened and how do I get it back to ExpressVu?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well apparently, the 'random" setting that you left it in happened to be, or became, pointed at one of Dish's bird's and it went ahead and downloaded Dish's software. You need to go back to the signal strength screen and then try and dial in Nimiq again at 91 degrees. Nevermind the fact that you no longer see reference to Nimiq on that screen.

Once you know you're in the vicinity via compass or whatever you should be able to lock on Nimiq but the signal bar while now showing strength again will show "wrong satellite" but thats ok, just leave it like that and power down via the front panel. It should then (hopefully) download Evu's software back.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by DP1 (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspected that was the answer. Thanks for the reply.

This raises another question, are these boxes interchangable with one another? I had heard that they were not and that you could not use ExpressVu to pick up Dish and vice versa. Does this mean that it is possible to reprogram your receiver to view the other company's content?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well they're identical hardware wise but the interchangeability ends when it comes to getting authorized for programming from the providers which is done by serial number on the box. Each company knows whos boxes are whos. But either box is capable of getting a couple channels that arent scrambled from either bird.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
760 Posts
The DISH setup screen will show wrong satellite then ExpressVu when you get a signal at 91.

------------------

Hot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.