·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury  /t/1523180/extend-speaker-wire-splicing-speaker-wire-connection-hookup-advice#post_24499892

any problems using a wire nut??
They work just fine.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks-

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Wire nuts are used to wire your house. Tightened down properly they are about as good as solder (essentially a compression fitting that helps control oxidation by smashing the wires together within the nut). Virtually everything I work with uses soldered connections, and soldering and covering them with shrink wrap is most likely what I would do for speaker wires, but soldering is not a complete panacea. Solder connections have disadvantages, too, including making the connection more susceptible to failure where the solder joint ends, making wire more brittle, causing "external" corrosion due to both the chemicals used to apply and clean the solder and the solder itself, and issues from dissimilar materials (tin/lead solder vs. copper wires, won't go into the nightmare of Al wiring). Solder joints can also be bad to start with (e.g. cold solder joints) or temperature cycling and such can cause problems later (temp cycling is not an issue in the average house). For folk who have never soldered I suggest staying with wire nuts. Soldering is not hard but takes a little practice and knowledge to make and recognize a good joint.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone.... ill try wire nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts