AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a HD RPTV, I ran across Circuit City's extended service plan with "performance guarantee". Basically, they'll repair or replace if the set was performing outside of the published specs - supposedly a more comprehensive coverage than the typical extended warranty.

Do you have any experience with Circuit City's performance provisions of their service contract? I'm curious as to who determines whether a "functioning set" is within factory specs, and if the customer pays an exorbitant charge if a tech (paid by the Service Plan provider) is dispatched and reports that the set is within factory specs.

Cost on a 4 year extended warranty (so 3 extra years, I assume) for the 47" Panasonic PT47WX49 is $299. I normally pass up extended warranties. But it seems 15% is not a high price to pay to avoid the possibility of another $2000 purchase in the next 4 years, so I may go this route.

On the other hand, Circuit City won't sell this to me online (too far away from a store). If I forego the extended warranty, I might default back to a purchase from 800.com. Any comments on the Circuit City/800.com choice? I'm 60 miles from any local retailer other than Sears, and have chosen against their HDTV offering, so local delivery and setup isn't really going to happen.

[This message has been edited by Cy in MO (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will tell you upfront that I am an employee of Circuit City, and will tell you that the decision is completely up to you. When I started to work there over two years ago, I was pretty skeptical of extended warranties, and had never bought them in the past.

From the influence and opinions of my managers, I started to buy the warranties on most of my purchases. The two best uses of the warranties that I got were on my satellite and on my first Wega television. I bought the service on my satellite thinking, what could go wrong with a metal dish, and I've already had them out to my house twice, saving me $200. On my tv, I bought it open box and noticed that when a dvd went to a black screen, one side was brighter than the other. Since I had in home service on it, it saved me the time and hassle of bringing it back (all 250 pounds), and I got an appointment for them to come to my house at my convenience. There was nothing to fix, and even though they did nothing, I didn't get charged anything. It gave me peace of mind though that nothing really was wrong with my tv.

The biggest benefit of our warranties cannot be written on paper, so it is the difficult to explain. The best way I can put it is that if you purchase our extra coverage, we take care of you. I'm not necessarily saying that you should always buy a warranty, or never buy a warranty, but in my opinion, a few hundred dollars and a few thousand dollars purchase is worth the time and hassle it might be if you don't have service.

[This message has been edited by Big Neil (edited 09-13-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.